What do you do for your child when they are sick?

My DD is 5, and I think she has a flu. She has an appt tomorrow morning at 8, soonest we could get it. She's got muscle aches, fever, headache (bad), stomach ache, nausea. All she wants to do is lay on the couch and watch tv and drink sprite. She wants to eat, but she's wanting things like cereal and sweets or nothing. She wants to drink her sprite and gatorade but not plain water. What do you do when yours are sick? Let them eat what they feel like? Make them eat healthy? Just wondering. She's seldom ever sick.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• rest,the bland diet,water,and Cars the movie!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i dont make my kids eat but if they are craving certain foods i try to give it to them, in my experience they dont usually throw up what they crave, but thats with in reason i try to encourage bland foods. and i let them lounge around and let them pick out a movie to watch.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• She had mashed potatoes for lunch, but then she wanted cocoa pebbles right after that (she had taken motrin and was feeling a bit better at that point, but is now nauseous again).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Make sure you give her something for her fever. Make her drink chicken broth and dry crackers. She should be drinking water not sprite.

I think she is playing you.  Make her eat fruit/ good foods.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Her pediatrician said the gatorade is ok, and flat room temp sprite if she doesn't want water, and don't force eating, but I just wasn't sure whether to give her what she wants to eat when she's hungry or just offer certain things. What about yogurt? Does that make a tummy feel worse?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think you know what i would do April. I dont see pedis or any doctor. i would take care of it with water, warm tea with honey and lemon. My daughter will drink the water. I would give her Elderberry Syrup, Vitamin D3, Calcium and all foods that would not make her nuaseas.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 9:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i would let her lay on the sofa and watch tv, and stay in her jammies as long as she wants. i might say 2 waters for every sprite...but it depends on the child honestly and how concerned i would be of dehydration. i would avoid dairy. i wouldn't go to the dr. if i thought it was a virus.
    i hope she feels better in the am!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• thanks everyone. She's still feeling really bad, fevers coming back every 3 hours or so. I'm alternating tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, and giving plenty of water too now. She ate 1/4 of a PB&J sandwich and went back to sleep. Has slept about 6 hours through the day. She's feeling worse, so she will be going to the dr in the morning unless she feels remarkably better tomorrow. My inclination is the flu. :( but we will see.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• No dairy. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, keep her well hydrated.