How can I make bowel movements less painful?

I had a baby a week ago and my bowel movements haven't been a problem until today. What can I eat and drink or not eat drink to make it softer and easier to be less painful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Health

• you can buy a fibre laxative which is all fruit -fig, prune etc in like a fruit salami, nibble on that. Plenty of water, prune juice, avoid white anything -white bread, rice and pasta will just gloop up and take ages to move through your system. You might also find it helps to take a clean baby wipe and hold it firmly against the perinium when you use your bowels, it gives you some pressure in the opposite direction to stop that area stretching so much.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• lots of fiber! Whole grain bread works for me.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Anything with high amounts of fiber!!!!
    Prunes/prune juice, apples/apple juice......stay away from bananas and yellow veggies as they will harden you not soften you!
    PRUNES are the BEST thing.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• fiber and water
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• The white bread, rice and pasta answer is totally right.
    Also, you could try adding more foods with magnesium to your diet.
    Anonymous

• Fiber, water and a take a stool softener.

Fruit, especially prunes, make things "easier".
    winterrose82

Answer by winterrose82 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• is it painful because of cramping or does it hurt to come out?
    you may need something for hemorrhoids. - if it just won't come out I'd try prunes or prune juice.
    Anonymous

• lots of water & fiber like pp said.

Avoid meat, white bread, white rice, banana, dairy, and yellow veggies (not orange, Yellow- they tend to bind you up)

add leafy greens- roughage works well. do not overdo the prunes, figs, or anything else- you will get diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Just eat lots of raw or lightly steamed (tender crisp) veggies, and avoid the meat & dairy for a while.

Drink lots of water, being even slightly dehydrated will cause you to have a much harder time.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Drink a lot of water and eat fruit.
    After each of my children my breakfasts consisted of plain yogurt, a blueberry muffin, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes and strawberries. I drank water all day. I required no more effort for a bowel movement than peeing. It was great.
    Anonymous

• After I had my son 3 years ago, in the hospital they gave me a stool softener with my meals. One of the nurses who's a long time family friend told me I may need them later on when I'm at home. Good thing I listened to her because occasionally I need to take a stool softener. I immediately bought the Equate kind from Walmart and it works just fine for me. Also follow what the other ladies said too. It helps with the fiber.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2010