My kid thinks shes unpopular

My kid, shes 10 going on 11 in June, thinks shes so unpopular because she doesn't, have a phone, she doesn't have nice and expensive clothes from Gap, Old Navy, Justice, JCPenny, Sears and places like that. She said I just get her crappy junk from Walmart that everyone has seen before. She thinks the clothes I get her are pretty nice but she says it doesn't cut it a t school. She seems very depressed and sad and is almost to the part where her only action throughout the day is crying. What should I do?! Thanks answer quickly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• this is tough because it sounds like she is VERY upset/depressed. i would explain to her that although kids give one another a hard time at school about clothes, that clothes are not what makes a person or what makes them popular. i would also tell her that being popular isn't everything. is she involved in any extra curriculars? i would try to get her more involved. have her talk to the school counselor. maybe on her birthday get her a few named brand clothes instead of other stuff. i know at a certain point, i liked getting clothes. you could always ask her if that would be okay. if she gets an allowance, tell her she needs to save up so she can get some more name brand things.

also, jc penny's and kohls have really good sales sometimes. try getting things when they are on HUGE sales....then you can get the more name brand things. just not a lot at one time.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Have you asked her if she would be okay with getting name brands at Ross? They are about the same price as Walmart's stuff.
    Anonymous

• give her a loving reality check. Include her in your finances and explain to her how much money you make and where it all goes throughout the month. If you have the resources, give her an allowance for doing EXTRA chores around the house and let her buy things she wants.
    You could also give her the option of expensive clothes, but she won't get as much, or walmart clothes and she'll get more. Her choice! :)

I wasn't a typical "popular" kid at school, but I knew a lot of people and people liked me a lot. I've had people come up to me and say "I remember you, your the one who always had a smile on her face"....
    That's what I was remembered for.
    Clothes will come in and out of fashion, but your attitude, your charity and your actions will speak louder than anything you wear...

Nobody will remember her for that....I guess that's easier said than believed especially by teenagers.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I'd just tell her that there's no money for those type of clothes.This attitude is a little early! If you can find the stuff at consignment shops,would she be cool with that? She should consider herself lucky.Most of my stuff was hand-me-downs and Goodwill stuff!
    Anonymous

• well, she could be having hormone problems. I started menstruating when I was only 10.

I know that we are all supposed to teach kids to stand up against peer pressure and all that- it's good for them to realize that these things will pass, but when you're sitting in a class and getting scoffed for things like what you wear, that just all seems like a load of bull.

So, do you by any chance have a sewing machine? or know someone that has? if she wants to have clothes that are unlike what they have at walmart or is different- why not consider sewing?
    I can't even hardly buy clothes to fit my football shoulders- so I sew. there are patterns that are easy for things like tops. where you don't even have to put in a separate sleeve-
    there are easy 2 hour patterns.

she could maybe do things like find labels at good will or second hand shops- 'vintage clothes' are considered in by many-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• cont- feel free to PM me is you could use some suggestions- don't know where you live, but there are places like Norstrom rack that has label clothes for less- maybe she could find a neat purse that makes a statement.
    good luck and I hope that you can try sewing some clothes- if I didn't sew I wouldn't look like much- I can suggest a online fabric site that is good if you like-
    good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• If the other kids can recognize her WalMart clothing, obviously they've been shopping there too!
    Anonymous