How much candy do you allow your kids to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• None. My dd is 20 months old and doesn't need candy. She did get into her father's stash of gummy worms the other day, and I allowed her to have one. She licked it for a few minutes then lost interest in it. :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• None.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My daughter is almost 3 and just recently we started letting her have a cadbury mini-egg after dinner on some nights. She spends about a half hour savoring it (it's about the size of an olive). But the other day she basically threw it at me and was done with it when she saw the strawberries I was hiding in the fridge that I was going to save for the next day. I also let her have one dum-dum when I pick her up from school (2 days a week). We started the tradition when I she first started a few months ago and it was a reward for a no-tantrum goodbye, but it sort of stuck. My 18 month old hasn't had anything.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Very little. Diabetes runs on DH's side of the family, so I really watch our diets.
    Anonymous

• Very little. They really only ever get candy on holidays...Easter and Halloween mostly, a little on Valentines from their classmates.
    I usually take away most of the Halloween candy. During the rest of the year candy is a BIG treat. They get it so rarely they cherish what little they do get.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• My kids were introduced to healthy foods from the start, and my kids will take a strawberry or an apple over a snickers for the most part. So when they want to indulge I let them. They don't go overboard even on Halloween and Easter. I believe we only get one life here on earth, candy and sweets make that life enjoyable, let them eat cake!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Often...we all enjoy it. We're big candy eaters. Love ice cream too.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2010