What to do when your teenage daughter sleeps all the time ?

My daughter is 15 & OMG all she does is sleep, she comes home from school does her homework & then goes to sleep & its between 3-4 in the afternoon, She wakes up around 10 & thinks she can have free rein over the house & do as she pleases, she does not eat dinner with us, Does not eat what I cook, etc.. She is driving me NUTS. I dont know how late she stays up because I go to bed around 11-12,.. she is up for school each morning by 7, & then does the same thing the next day.. How do I get this to stop ?
Is this normal, am I the only one going thru this with a teen?
I just dont know what to do anymore ..
Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Kitchen is closed at 7pm or whenever you are finished cleaning up from dinner. That's not acceptable. TV goes off at 9pm everynight (and you have to follow this rule too). Internet is off @ 9pm....etc. No phone use after 9pm. That might cut the crap. does she not hang out with friends or anything?
    She may be depressed.
    Anonymous

• Every great once in a while she will hang out with friends, we just moved to a new town & new school..in Jan.. she made friends pretty quick, & when she is awake she smiles, non stop except when she has the normal teen attiude,
    Anonymous

• id just leave her alone, really.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first comment. It's your house and you make the rules. If she doesn't have anything to do, she will either go to bed when everyone else does or open up a book and read...both of which couldn't be bad. I remember when I was a teen I did the same thing but it was because I was on the phone all night until 3 in the morning. I wish my mom would have set more rules...I probably wouldn't havn't gotten into as much trouble!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• ok my neice did that for the LONGEST TIME, in high school she would come home sleep, wake up at 9, eat watch tv do homework and go back to sleep! turned out that she had very low iron....she had to start taking supplements. and it got better. either that or shes pregnant!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Maybe she is depressed

Anonymous

• If she's home she eats dinner with the family and if she doesn't then she just doesn't eat, she can nap for an hour after school because she MIGHT be going through a growth spurt or something like that and need that little extra sleep or she MIGHT be one of those people that just need naps to make it through the day (I'm one of those kind of people but I still only average about eight hours of sleep), and lastly she doesn't have to go to sleep but she needs to be in her bedroom lights out when you go to bed. There's no need for teenagers to be roaming the house alone doing whatever they please at night time. That's how I'd handle it of course in my mind teenagers are just a bunch of over grown toddlers with crazy hormones so it may sound to strict to others.
    Anonymous

• She could be growing or might have a iron or b12 deficency or even depression. Talk to her and ask her if she just feels tired or something. Then take her to the doctor.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• hi my neice did this also while i was staying with my brother for awhile. they just moved an she didn't have hardly any friends, so all she did was sleep or play her violin. my sister got her a part time job working monday - wed - saturday ...she met alot of new kids her age an now she's hardly home on the weekend.
    Anonymous

• She could be depressed. But I would insist that she stay up after she gets her homework done and eats a dinner with the family. Then ...keep her up until about 9:00pm and make sure she is in bed and sleep before you go to bed. Teens need LOTS of supervision and advice and you have to be the boss. SHe can't decide when she eats and when she goes to bed. YOU decide!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2010