Able to climb out of the crib, but not ready for a toddler bed...what options do I have?

My 20 month old is trying very hard to climb out of her crib, and I'm getting worried. But, she is not ready to sleep in a bed. I like the security of the crib, and was hoping to keep her in one until her third birthday.

Are there any other options I can explore? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• We waited until 2.5 for a bed and were glad we did. Our daughter treated it just like a crib -- she doesn't get out of it. It's a twin with a guard rail. I think if you want to wait, wait. If she hasn't climbed out but is trying, she may still not do it. If not, I have heard of something called a crib tent, I think? I'd look into that. I don't get Anon45 saying she IS ready for a bed. And NEEDS a bed? Why? Just because her daughter switched at 18 months. You know your daughter and your situation better than she does, obviously.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Why is she not ready for a bed?
    Anonymous

• OP

My apartment is so small that it's not possible to completely child-proof the one (and only) bedroom. I sleep in the livingroom, but there is a queen size bed in the bedroom, that my daughter could easily climb on and fall out of the window. I am a deep sleeper, so I'm afraid of what could happen if she wandered the room at night.
    Anonymous

• we always dropped the cot side and put a low trunk (a long coffee table, or sturdy toy box would work) they could climb out as it was only a foot or less and onto the 'step', and down safely. I understand what you mean about staying in the safety of the cot, mine were always freaked out without sides all around, even if the dropped side was low.
    Another alternative is to just put the cot mattress on the floor. If she is climbing out, you have to accept she is going to continue to try to get out, so now you need to be sure she is safely able to get out
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Is she not ready for the bed or are you not ready for her to be in a bed? I totally understand wanting to keep a child in a crib as long as possible! Is the mattress as low as it gets in the crib? Can she climb out or is she just trying? You can lower the rail so that she doesn't fall very far if she makes it over or you can put pillows next to the crib in case she falls out.
    I know people who use a crib tent but those just tend to tick off the kids LOL!
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Yeah I think a toddler bed is safer at this point. Closer to the ground. You can try one of those tent things that go over the top to keep her in. You can put a twin mattress on the floor. That's what my boys are doing. I never tried to force a toddler to stay in the crib so i know i'm not much help. Once they could climb out they went down to a toddler bed.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• You need to keep that window locked! Who sleeps on the queen bed? Are they lighter sleepers?
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Op can't you lock the window? Put something up there to keep it safe. She is going to be out and you need to step up and get some solutions for that, not try to keep her in the cot. It won't work. I don't understand why there is a queen size bed in the bedroom and you are sleeping in the loungeroom, who sleeps in the bed?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Yeah...lock the window. she is ready for a toddler bed.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Your child IS ready for a bed, and needs a bed. Why would you wait until age 3 for a bed? Buy a toddler bed and put that where the crib has been. They are small, and low to the ground. Mine was only $50 and can hold her up to 50 pounds. She made the switch at 18 months.
    Anonymous