How do you help a 9 year old boy learn patience and not get frustrated so fast.

He thinks he should be able to learn anything on the first try and when he doesn't he gets so frustrated and upset that he wants to give up and quit. He is forever pouting and very tearful. This is over all normal stuff like riding a bike, roller blading, building with lego, sports, playing with kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• deep breathing. when my kids are 2, i try to get them to blow hard enough to move my hair...cleansing breaths usually calm me down, so why not the kids?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• What do you say to yourself if you get like that? Say the same to him
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness. I know exactly what you're talking about. My daughter won't be 9 until July and was doing the same thing earlier this year. Has he hit the stage where he'll refuse to try something and tear up and pout because he's afraid to try? Uggg.... I used to get so frustrated! It was hard because at the same time I was getting angry with her for being a poor sport, I also felt sorry for her and just wanted to hug her and make her problems go away.

Anonymous

• I talked to my daughter about it. I pointed out all the things she could do. I brought up issues that her sister, cousins, and friends had had to deal with, and how even though it was really hard they kept working until they learned. My daughter's best friend became blind at age 6. She also has an uncle who just gave up, never learned to read and became a criminal. I told her that she was going to have to decide what kind of person she wanted to be.

Every once in a while she needs a reminder or extra encouragement but over-all things are a lot better.

Anonymous

• Tell him to take a break and help him with that and then come back to it when fresh. Deep breaths are good too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2010