Help Please!!!! My 25 week old is 11lbs 2oz and was 9lbs 2.8 oz at birth. She eats like so well Im perplexed and the doctor wont give me any explaination she had an x ray taken today and lab work. I have typed it anyway possible in google and come up with nothing that fits my experience please help.

Today I got some upsetting news. I am very shaken and feeling alone. I took my daughter for her first set of innoculations (sp) she will be 6 months on March 9 2010. I was shocked that my child who has met ALL of her milestones and beyond. When handed the lab work was

wayfarersnight

Asked by wayfarersnight at 8:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what would cause what? what is the problem?
    Anonymous

• He said he was concerned about her weight and ordered and chest x ray today and bloodwork. He wouldnt even give me a theoretical explaination to why he was concered. He wouldnt even answer what may cause it. he just said if the bloodwork does not show the cause of her being thin He would send me to burlington vt. far way for her to get checked. My question is does anyone know why when she eats very frequently is active alert and happy WHY this would happen. and what wont he tell me that he feels that she should be looked at furtur and has any other parent experienced why this happens is it illness? she has a six oz bottle every 3 1/2 hrs every fivish hrs puree and cereal and give her breast milk after her formula. what could cause her skinniness shes so healthy looking to me.
    wayfarersnight

Answer by wayfarersnight at 9:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• oh and by the way shes NEVER BEEN SICK OR HAD A FEVER

wayfarersnight

Answer by wayfarersnight at 9:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Maybe she is just small. It's all genetic.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• 2 pound weight gain in only 6 months is odd. If the blood works comes back clean they may diagnose her with FTT failure to thrive. Some babies have it and they really don't know why. Try not to jump the gun, let them do what they need to, to rule out anything medical.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• You know what it might just be that she is just a small baby. My cousins baby is 12months and she is very small too. Nothing is wrong w/her she is walking & every thing but shes just small. I hope every thing is fine w/your little girl.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 12:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• To help baby gain weight cut out all foods and just stick with breastmilk before formula. By feeding cereal you are replacing a much needed meal with filler. Also breastmilk has a much higher fat content then any formula and should be fed first, especially when concerned about weight.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• OK ARE BABYS ARE THE SAME AGE. MY PREMATURE BABY WAS BORN WEIGHING 4 POUNDS 15 OZ. AND AT HIS SIX MONTH APPT WEIGHS 18.9 POUMDS AND IS 27 1/2 IN. HE IS ONLY IN THE 65 % FOR WEIGHT AND THE 97% FOR HEIGHT. BE GLAD THAT YOU DOCTOR IS RUNNING TEST. SHE MAY JUST HAVE A REALLY HIGH METABOLISM OR SOMETHING. BUT SHE DEFINATLY SHOULD HAVE GAINED A LITTLE MORE WEIGHT THAN THAT, ESP CONSIDERING HOW BIG SHE WAS AT BIRTH.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 2:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• FTT is not only about weight, if your child is meeting all the milestones and nothing comes up with the tests it may just be a small child. One of my nephews has been underweight his whole life, he is very tall and very skinny, there is nothing wrong with him at all, its just how his body works and no matter what you feed him he will probably always stay like this.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My daughter was born 8lbs and by 8 months she was only 11lbs and she ate a lot EBF and was a very happy girl and we had to go for tests and doctors appointment constantly and no one could figure out why she was so small. well now at 2 1/2 she is very healthy and weighs 33lbs. I know its hard because you want an explanation but sometimes there isnt one. Your doing all you can do just get doing it and I'm sure eventually she'll start gaining and this will be in the past
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 6:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010