holding doors for people-

I read a advice column every day and it seems that people get mad when doors are open for them- she posted my letter in response to it.
Personally, I don't want people opening doors for me because of my condition that makes me not able to catch the door when they let it go- it then hits me and I'm in pain for the rest of the day. then they yell at me wanting to know why didn't I just catch the door?
telling them no doesn't help either- they insist and won't move away.

why is it when people have 'good intentions' it's the responsibility of the rest of us to just let them do whatever no matter what we feel?

I'm glad there are people out there that care, but just because something is done out of good intentions doesn't make it wanted or even a good thing-

is it too much to ask that people offer their help to see if it's wanted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate when people open doors for me as well. Not because I can't catch it but because they act like I'm doing something wrong if I don't run through it on their time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• You are incapable of saying no thank you. I can't catch the door? or "Okay..but don't let go because I can't catch it before it hits me" I mean really use some common sense.
    Anonymous

• I usually hold a door open for someone if I see that they are going to go thru it right after me. but if they tell me no thank you or otherwise indicate in some way that they don't want me to, I'll let it go. I don't get offended or upset. I'm trying to do something nice for them, and for whatever reason, they don't need or want me to. No skin off my nose. I don't agree with anon's attitude, but her point is a good one. Why not just politely indicate to them that you do not need/want them to hold the door?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• OP- uh, hello anon 916- I said that I tell the no and they don't listen- as far as telling them to not let go because it hits me is exactly what I've done and they don't listen then either- they just get cocky saying that I should have caught the door-

Anonymous

• OP- to everyone who thinks I've got a bad attitude and why can't you tell them politely no-
    read the post-
    I say no thank you and they demand that you let them- in a few cases people wouldn't get out of my way so I could take a different route.
    And you'd have a bad attitude if you were hurting from doors slamming on you from these people who think they know better than you do about what's best for you -
    Anonymous