communion wafers-

OK, I'm not catholic so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but here's my question. I've got family members who are catholic and say that they take turns going and sitting with the communion wafer since it's Jesus's body.

My BIL (who is catholic) says that he wonders if someone is sneaking in and changing out the wafer - his words:
"so what happens when Jesus gets moldy?"anyone know if the wafer gets changed out so it won't get moldy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For Catholic during the Mass at the concecration the bread and wine become the real body and blood of Jesus Christ . It's called transubstantion. Transubstantion accepts that there are 2 ways changes occur - outward and inner changes. Like when we become a mother - we we not only change physically, but inside we are now a mother to someone else. Or think of a work of art - an original is worth more than an exact copy because there is something internal to the original that is different than the copy even it the copy looks exactly the same. So for Catholics, the bread/wine retain the outward appearance - but the essenace changes to be that of the Body and Blood of Christ. So for your Catholic family, they're not is not sitting with a communion wafer but spending time in the presence of Jesus Christ.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I think its made or preserved for each service.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I believe communion wafers that have been blessed are kept to be used again, or given to others who may do a communion ministry at a hospital or home visits.

The unblessed wafers are stored until needed. You can buy them at any christian supply store. They keep for a really long time.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 10:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• lol, nah they probly just change it. i'm not catholic, but we use actual wafers. the little circles. we only take communion on new years eve and easter, and the grapejuice (not wine) and wafer comes in little premade packages that the church orders, it's a little half oz plastic container with the juice in it then the wafer sealed on top of it.

the bread is in remembrance of Jesus's body. so it doesn't matter if they change it out. the wine (or grapefruit) is in remembrance of His blood "1 Cor 11 24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me
    Anonymous

• So during a Mass a larger wafer is consecrated and then placed in a vessel called a monstrance for viewing and adortaion. At the end of the Adoration period (usually 24 hours) the priest will consume the Consecrated Eucharistic Host (all consecrated hosts must be consumed). And the next time another host is consecrated during another Mass.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I don't think it is really "actual" anything. As far as I know, Holy Water and anything like that is just "blessed" by the priest and that is what makes it special or Holy. I highly doubt there would be thousands of "real" wafers or whatever.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• OP, it sounds like you might also be talking about adoration, where the consecrated host is put on display for people to come and spend time with Christ. I'm not sure how that works as far as the actual "bread" goes, perhaps eringobrough does and will stop back over to this question and answer that part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• perhaps eringobrough does and will stop back over to this question and answer that part.

I thought I did but just in case - the priest (or someone else) consumes (eats) it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Yep, I don't know how, but I completely missed that Eringobrough, thanks for addressing it again though :-)
    Anonymous

• OP- I guess I was talking about adoration- was wondering if it ever got changed out or how they did it.

Anonymous