Is seperating elementary school children in classes of advanced, average and below average learning levels a common practice?

mommybutterfly

Asked by mommybutterfly at 10:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think so, but it sounds smart to me.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of it for math and reading so that kids are matched with their levels of learning so that the ones that are behind can catch up or get extra added attention.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if it's common but my daughters former school did it. They broke the class up into three groups and they all worked at different levels.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• When I was little, we were split up that way for reading. It worked very well. I think school's should do that more often for more subjects.
    Anonymous

• My sons school does it for reading aso. And for example, there are 3 1st grade classes, and one moves faster than the others do. I like it a lot. It keeps from having some kids being bored or others left behind.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• my SD and SS's school does this, but they dont really tell the parents this. The only reason I know that they do it is because I subbed in my SD's grade 4 days really close together and the teachers were talking about it. They did tell the parents that they were seperating them for math, but not the regular class stuff.

In some ways this is good, but I wish that there was a better way. I know that it helps the ones who need more help and more repetition to get that while those who are more advanced can then keep moving forward. And I know that even within the classes, for reading they do small groups along with whole class reading. The small groups are grouped by reading ability as well. They move the kids around in the groups as needed so they are not always in the same ones. If a child improves a lot in one area, then they may move them for that subject.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• No, it's not common practice because all the research indicates it doesn't work. The vast majority of students learn more in classes of mixed ability. 

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Yes. It is called tracking, and has been common for at least forty five years. It is even used in academically advanced / gifted schools.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Where I teach we separate for one hour a day by reading levels. One teacher gets below level, one at level, and one above level. It's wonderful, for the entire hour is dedicated to THEIR NEEDS and ABILITIES. I'd personally love it if the whole day worked that way, but it can't. It honestly wouldn't be fair for one teacher to have all below level students all day long. They are a HUGE, HUGE challenge, and need lots of assistance. My co teacher who has the below level group for just an hour a day is SUPER STRESSED out. She does have the help of literacy specialist in her room as well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i think my son's school does it for certain activities like reading and writing. also they do work with kids at different levels but they are not really separated or anything and they all seem to be paid equal attention.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2010