daughter was diagnosed with SVT

My daughter just got home from the hospital today with SVT, supraventrivical tachycardia. She had to have cardioversion done when she went in (http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/electrical-cardioversion-defibrillation-for-a-fast-heart-rate)

Has any one else had this condition or had someone else who has it, their kids, etc? I am meeting with the cardiologist tomorrow, but until then my mind is racing with questions. It would be nice to have another mom to ask questions to, all the internet searches I do are turning up results for adults.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 10:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• never been diagnosed but my mom had a faster than normal heartbeat that was treated with meds. I also have one but its not worrisome that I'm on anymedication for it. I just have to forwarn them before hand if I get an EKG and such.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Her heart rate when we went in was 287. Normal for a kid her size is between 100-120. She has to be on a beta-blocker for it from now on.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Kiwi was born with WPW, which has somewhat of the same thing, a fast heart rate due to an extra pathway in the heart telling it to beat several times. She was on Atenolol for it up until the 26th of February. In five years of looking, this is the first time I've met another parent of a child with a heart problem, (aside from others in the waiting room at the cardiologist, but that hardly seemed the time to strike up a conversation). It can be really scary when the heart goes so fast, Kiwi's got as high as 320 a couple times, mostly when she outgrew the medicine dosage. I would love to talk about the kid-with-heart-problem thing even though it was two somewhat different things. Please, feel free to email/send a message through here. It's good to know I'm not the only scared mom out there.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• In May of 2008, my then 4 year old son, Aiden, was diagnosed with an SVT & had to be given adenosine for chemical cardioversion in the ER by IV that stopped his heart (OMG) & restarted it again. He now takes digoxin 2 times a day to prevent episodes. He sees his cardiologist on Tuesday & we are going to discuss ablation.
    bobbi318

Answer by bobbi318 at 8:31 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I know this is old but how is your daughter. My son was on propranolol for the first year of his live sue to SVT. Now he is off the meds and minor SVT. He was treated 11 days after birth when he was at home with the apnea monitor that was for his acid reflux. His heart rate was 300+
    Anthonys_mommy1

Answer by Anthonys_mommy1 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010