soo much poop.

My daughter is 5 days old. She has pooped 8 times today (bright yellow, seedy pooh). She is not at all fussy and is sleeping for a few hours at a time. Does this seem like too much poop? I am going to see how she fares through the night and call the pedi in the morning if pooping continues. Thank you:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PERFECT! And she passed the meconium. No worries here.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Sounds like a normal baby to me. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• That means that she is getting a GREAT supply of mama's milk! Keep it up! Newborns belly's are not that big, so they poop A TON! Just watch for her little behind to get red and nip it in the bud by using some diaper cream in the first place. Just wait when she starts to handle her milk a little better, BF babies tend to not poop for days at a time and that is normal too! :) All is well!

BTW, I am assuming you are nursing sense you said that it's mustard yellow and seedy....excuse me if I am wrong, either way newborns poop a lot and that is normal!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• op here- yes to breastfeeding. It is going great!! (slightly painful in the nips, but that is starting to go down)
    Anonymous

• OH that's really good! Don't worry just keep doing what your doing and feed her often just like you are. She could get dehydrated if you stopped feeding her as much though from all the BM so just keep doing what you're doing :)
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• Normal! My babies pooped every time they fed (also breast). Sounds like you have a healthy pooper on your hands!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Yeah, once they start pooping, it seems like they never stop! Then they'll miss a day or two, then will come a tsunami poop! What FUN! She sounds normal, don't worry!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• All my breastfed newborns (3 so far) pooped like that.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Poop happens! Very soon, the frequency will decrease. Breastfed babies will go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Don't need to call doctor about poop, silly momma. LOL
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2010