What is the most effective AND least expensive way to clean my carpets?

I have rented the machines from the store but by the time I get done buying everything I need I've spent around $100. When I've had a professional do it, I end up paying around $160. I have a small traffic area in front of the entry that will need to be treated to get the stains out. Your advice is appreciated in advance.

chocaholic888

Asked by chocaholic888 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My husband and I own a carpet cleaning business, we don't use steam cleaning which is really Hot water extraction (HWE), we use an encapsulation method, that dries in about an hour or less. If you find a local company and not a franchise company you can get traffic areas cleaned inexpensively. For us 100 sq. ft. is only $32, and it includes the scotch protector. So you should be able to find a local company that doesn't have minimum requirements.

The steam vacs I just don't trust because they aren't really steam, just hot water which if you use too much you run the risk of getting mold and mildew growing in the carpet, the padding and even the floors underneath. BUT, those steam mops CAN be put on carpet and will remove surface dirt....though not deep down dirt. They can be used on carpet and are true steam cleaners.

For stains on carpet, I recommend a stain remover that Home Depot carries called FOLEX.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The Resolve powder that you sprinkle on and scrub works fairly well. It's a damp powder you sprinkle on the carpet, scrub with a soft bristle brush, let dry and vaccum up. It actually works not bad and for a small area is good. It wouldn't be as good for a larger area though. I like it because it dries in about 20 mins, as opposed to my shampooer which takes hours to dry.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• i bought a carpet cleaner for 80 bucks at target, and i got 2x concentrated cleaner for around 10 bucks. it will clean my carpets more than once, and its a fairly simple machine to use. and my carpets dry in about 20 mins.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I rent the machines and use (get this) laundry detergent. No joke it works FABULOUSLY, and you don't have to buy the stuff with all the perfumes in it (which get to be overpowering if you ask me). Just use a little tiny bit, about a quarter of the amount of "shampoo" you would use and it will get stains out like a miracle.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I just bought a really good Hoover steam vac for $140 on Amazon. It's more than I would spend renting a Rug Doctor, but in the long run, it will save money.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• ....It's commercial strength, and what we use as spot remover. Just use it with a soft bristle brush (not a harsh bristle which could damage the carpet)!
    Mom2Jack04

• Rent a cleaner from your local grocery store for $20.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 1:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• add tide to it not the cleaners they sell.
    JoyandLove