Do you ever have to much food? compulsive buyer of food? Do you stockpile food?

I know how expensive food is at regular prices so when there's a sale I like to stock up. The thing is, I have no room for anything. My pantry, cabinets and 2 freezers plus the fridge all full and a closet in the basement has 3 cases of canned goods...I have spent $5oo in the last 2 weeks but I didn't even have to, because before that I could have went for a month without buying anything! other then produce,milk and bread.
I know people who just buy what they need for a week, a week at a time.
I just like buying food, I waste alot 2, right now I have 4 lunchables that expired on the 4th so they need to be eaten asap. some people buy to many clothes, me I buy to much food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Definitely know what you mean....My husband and I had the year from hell(2005) We were doing so bad he and I would not eat just to be sure our kids had food. He gave blood to get by and so did I. His arm still hurts from it. Because of this I have the tendency to overstock on food. At first I did not know I was doing it,, it had to be brought to my attention. I sat down with my husband and my pastor and my issue was fear. Fearful that i would not have food for my children so i stocked and I stocked..... I do not know if there are any underlying causes to your need to buy and buy... but it does sound a abit obsessive.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We have a lot of food stored. We buy it on sale and we buy stuff with a long shelf life like dry beans and wheat. We're working toward having a 1 yr supply. We have a room to keep it all in. One of my friends has taken the drywall off of some of her inside walls in her house and made shelving in the walls for canned goods. I don't know that I would get that creative. Another friend uses big bins as end tables in her livingroom. They have a piece of wood on the top and fabric over it as a tablecloth. She keeps canned food inside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• ummmm...that's a bit obsessive. More pp than op, but still both. I do stock up so as not to over spend. Stocking up allows me to set my own proces. But ripping out walls, masking storage bins as furniture and wasting food is ...wow....just wow.
    Miranda1127

Answer by Miranda1127 at 3:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My step-mom does that like crazy. My old bedroom is filled with food.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• same here.. i give food away all the time to make room for new stuff!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Nope most times Im lucky if I have enough food for a week
    allycally

Answer by allycally at 4:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The most I stock up on is canned foods, IE veggies and soups. That is because tho they don't go bad in a few short weeks.
    I don't see the point in wasting money like that, food goes bad freezer stuf gets freezer burnt. It is a complete waste.
    Now if you did it just for a month at a time I could see that but you sound like my MIL she has way to much food and when she offers it to people they don't take it because you don't know what you will get.
    For example when DH and I first started she sent us a big box of food from her pantry. I threw 90% of it away. The only thing I lept was the cocoa and soup. Everything else expired between 1979 and 1985. She also still buys things she doesn't even use. She has 3 very LARGE bags of frozen peas in her freezer, why ? because they were on sale. She doesn't eat peas.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• If we could afford it, we would. I love having staples on hand and I hate having to scrimp and save for each week. We spend $35 a week on groceries for a family of three. When we get a windfall I go insane and fill everything. I can make it last a long time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I do not ever have too much food, and it never goes to waste, but we do have a reasonable amount of food stored. First of all I do not stock up on perishables, but on staples, canned food and things that will last up to a year or more, although we rotate our supplies and it's eaten long before the year is up! We grow a lot of our own food and can/freeze/dry it at harvest to use throughout the year until the next harvest. Buying or growing and preserving foods your family will not eat, or that expires before eaten is worse than not having it at all, in my opinion. In any event it's always better to havea little food stored ahead in case of power outages, or in the case of worst comes to worst, some natural disaster where supplies to stores would be disrupted. (Earthquake demolishes the road, or something)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Nope. I grocery shop almost daily according to what we are in the mood to eat, what I feel like cooking and what is fresh.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2010