Teen mama's (a question about my daughter)

My daughter is 16 and pregnant with twins. She is handling it poorly. She is an emotional train wreck and is now threatening to kill her self. I don't really believe her but what can I do. What would have helped you. How did you feel and what helped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hi. I was pregnant with twins at 16 as well. it is extremely overwhelming not only to be pregnant at 16 but with twins. I am blessed that I had to support of my boyfriend all the way. Irealize this isnt the case a lot of the time. I suggest some counseling for her. And remember that she needs you most now more than anything. There's so much light at the end of the tunnel; when she sees those precious babies. There could very possibly be a program for HS students that teaches parenting and also provides daycare for free until graduation. Everything changes once the babies are born. Life becomes about them and no more selfish teenager ways. If you need advice or to talk (you or her) feel free to contact me. I know that there are not a lot of teenage mommies to twins.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• A counselor at Planned Parenthood can help her work through all of her options. www.plannedparenthood.org

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Find a crisis pregnancy center or Women Care Center near you. They will give her all her options. Help her with everything she needs.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Well, you probably should get rid of the "I don't really believe her" attitude first of all. Anyone who threatens suicide should be taken seriously. She probably needs to speak with a counselor at the very least, and you probably need to be there for her as much as you possibly can.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I already answered you in your last question about this.

A trained psychologist/therapist is who she should speak to. Not a therapist at planned parenthood -- they tend to be jaded and biased in my experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• And I disagree and agree with kitten. The suicide threat was a cry for support and help. Give her support and help but I don't think she needs extreme intervention.. but a good psychologist. You need therapy too so you can calm down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You, or she, need to talk to her OB - they can get her on some depression meds if they think that might help and direct her to a psychologist that deals with perinatal issues. Pregnancy hormones can be hard enough on a grown woman - I can't imagine in a 16 year old!

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Terrible advise to get counseling at Planned parenthood!!! The only counseling they give is on how to kill your baby! They are the largest abortion provider in the country & growing around the world, receiving millions of dollars in government funding.

Instead, take her to your local crisis pregnancy center where she will receive, parenting classes, great emotional support as well as help with maternity clothing, diapers & other baby essentials, as well as information on how to not let it happen again.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• "Answered at 9:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 by: BlessedMommy64
    Terrible advise to get counseling at Planned parenthood!!! The only counseling they give is on how to kill your baby! They are the largest abortion provider in the country & growing around the world, receiving millions of dollars in government funding.
    Instead, take her to your local crisis pregnancy center where she will receive, parenting classes, great emotional support as well as help with maternity clothing, diapers & other baby essentials, as well as information on how to not let it happen again. "

This is not true. I was in a PP office, I had paid for an abortion. During the mandatory counseling session, the counselor helped me see that I really did want this baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010