Rice cereal???

My twin boys are almost 3 months and are always hungry. However, sometimes they eat 2 ozs and sometimes 5 ozs. They fall asleep and won't finish the bottle, but are up in another 1.5 hrs to eat again! I'm going crazy. They still spit up quite a bit, but they do not sleep in thier crib and will only sleep in thier bouncers or swings. My DH and I have not slept in the same bed for almost 2 months now and I don't know what to do! I was thinking that some rice cereal would help, but now I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated. And how can I get them to sleep in thier crib? My DH works a crazy schedule, so sometimes it's just me at night along w/ my almost 7 yr old autistic son. I need to get sleep or I will have panic attacks. Literally!

Thanks all!!

krisytina03

Asked by krisytina03 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 children and an infant who all had/have huge appetites. Rice cereal has always been a savior for me. I put a whole scoop in the bottle with all my kids, including my infant. My boys slept almost all the way through the night and my infant daughter wakes up just twice but she eats smaller amounts then my boys did.

I suspect you will get a lot of people telling you don't do it because their little digestive systems are still developing and it can cause food allergies. This is true, however a 1/2 scoop per 4 ounces has never hurt my kids and actually minimized the spit up tremendously. My 2 month old has extreme acid reflux. She would spit up HUGE through her nose! The rice cereal completely eliminated it!As far as food allergies go, if you or your husband do not have any, you are safe. What people don't know is that food allergies are genetically disposed. One more word-you will need to expand the nipple hole a bit
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• it can also cause choking, but i did it with my dd around that age too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• For my kids, switching to a medium flow nipple helped. Anyway you are going to get so much more sleep and feel so much better ;) I wouldn't tell everyone your doing it though, you will get some flack for it. Also, the rice cereal may cause a bit of constipation. If so, 1 ounce Gerber prune juice twice a day.

Also, my pediatrician is not opposed to any of my methods. He is the one that gives me all of my advice and he is on the board of directors at Seattle Childrens Hospital (best children's hospital in the country)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• A half scoop per 4 ounce bottle will NOT cause choking! lol Never give it to them with a spoon, THAT will cause choking!
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• flower mom, you are an idiot. You have it ass backwards and need to do some research.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• #2. Choking hazard

Some infants do not fully have their swallowing reflex fully developed at birth. Sucking cereal from a bottle can cause a choking hazard. . .and babies have actually died this way. Choking on cereal from a bottle certainly isn't a common cause of death. . .but why do it when it is linked to something like choking?
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Research shows that adding rice cereal to baby's diet does NOT help them go longer between feedings (scientific fact, your personal experiences are irrelevant) AND it increases the likelihood of obesity and diabetes later in life when introduced before about 6 months. Your babies are going through a growth spurt and they need nutrition at such short intervals so that they can continue to grow. Their tummies can only hold so much, and they need the nutrition and calories in order to be healthy. They're way too young to be giving rice cereal.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• LuvsDanika is right! Holy bad information!!!

Your children are going through a growth spurt right now so everything is going to be a bit off for a week or so. This is normal and you do not want to replace their much needed nutrition with fillers (rice cereal). This is normal growth spurt time and they NEED more food (breastmilk/formula) more often for a bit.  Rice cereal is actually shown to cause sleeplessness NOT a restful night sleep (old wives tale).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I'm not looking for fights. Please know that while I do have an almost 7 yr old I am so rusty when it comes to babies! You'd think that I would read up (and I actually have), but everyone says something different and I am looking for opinions and what ya'll have done. My one twin can sit semi-supported and the other (with the HUGE cranium LOL) cannot support his neck yet..fully support it. I did buy some, but I am really leery about doing it for fear that they will choke. I guess that I am just wanting some GOOD sleep. Twins do not run in my family (first set for both sides) and while we only wanted one more baby we got two outta the deal. We are military w/ no family around to help and no friends (as we just moved not too long ago). So, I am on my own basically. Thanks all for answering and your insight!
    krisytina03

Answer by krisytina03 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• kristytina, ALL of us feel you on wanting sleep! lol. Is it possible for you to sleep during the day with your babies?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2010