My 2 year old YELLS all the time! help!

I need the super nanny! I have an adorable, sweet 2 year old that is very funny and outgoing. He just loves to YELL. He yells out for example "I WANT A GRANOLA BAAAR! or YEAYYY WE GO TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE!! or NOOOOO!! NOOOOO!! IWANT MY BIKE!!! ALL.DAY.LONG. even in restaurants. I took him to a donut shop a few months ago and he screamed "YUMMYYY!!! I WANT SOME!! I WANT A CHOCIT ONE!!" I got some laughs but also some dirty looks from the old people that were in there. I realize he may be in the terrible twos and it is also fits, whining etc..... I do correct him, make him ask properly for things-say please and thank you and I also give time outs. nothing is working. I do not like to spank. What do I do? It is drivin' me crazy!!

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• people like u annoy me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• People like YOU annoy ME haha
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Wow... People are being so helpful. Anyway, DS gets like that sometimes and I just remind him that he needs to use his inside voice. If he is always screaming, you may want to get his hearing checked. It might just be a phase, or he may not be able to hear himself when he speaks.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• oh wow anon. Flowermom: I know how this is going to sound but i have tried and it worked for me. I hope it works for you.

My god daughter was this way. Her mom would just stand there and pretend it was not happening. I decided to yell with her(only at home). If she yelled about cereal " THATS MY FAVORITE CEREAL" I'd yell "THATS MY FAVORITE TOO" She thought I'd lost my mind. The more I did it the more confused she was. Finally I told her i love her voice and i think its one of the most awesome voices there is. I'd LOVE to hear what her voice sounds like quiet. Over time the yelling subsided.

IT sounds like he's just learning to express himself. Not every kiddo is the same. Just keep working at it mommy. You'll be fine.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Nobody likes to spank, but it is sometimes necessary. He may just be doing it to get attention, and you can test that theory by telling him that the next time he does it, he will get one warning and then a spanking. Children will do all kinds of things just to get you to draw boundaries and then enforce them. It really gives them a sense of security to know what will and will not be tolerated in the family. As long as he can make the rules, he will. The only trouble is that as he gets older, his rules will get harder and harder for you to abide by. By the time he is a teen-ager, you will not like his rules at all. If you tie that in with his yelling being a lack of respect not only for you, but for the people in the store or restaurant or wherever he happens to choose to yell, I think it would be worth experimenting with spanking. If you do it, tell him it's because you love him too much to allow that kind of behavior.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• maybe there's some hearing issues?? and he's trying to hear himself?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2010