How can a family get an apartment/home at affordable cost?

If you see newspapers ads the rent prices are getting higher everyday. Are there any other ways to find affordable housing for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) with $40,000.00 (after taxes) household income.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Thats the income we are on and my suggestion is to find someone with all utilities included. If you can, try to just get a 2 bedroom ad let the kids share a bedroom :-D Best of luck
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Luvs. Thank you. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• you can do it, it just depends on what luxuries you are willing to give up.

power and water are a must have
    cable is a luxury, you don't NEED it, it's just nice to have.
    internet isn't a must have unless you work from home at the computer.
    cars - is your car relatively new and you still owe on it? maybe it's time to get a more affordable car.
    shopping - sure, I'd love some new clothes, but I don't NEED them.

I have a family of 5, live off of $1000 a month. I'm able to do this because our house and car was paid for in cash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• anon :32 Thank you. We don't need a car. We can manage public transportation. And actually getting on the bus to go to work isn't as hectic as driving to the job. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• OP, my husband makes less than 40k a year, we have three kids and we manage. Either apartments are really expensive where you live or you have some expenses that are causing a burden for you. Look at your expenses and budget and see what you must have versus what you choose to have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Of coarse it is! Go on Craigslist or Apartmentsforrent.com or something like that. I highly recommend Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" Book and workbook. That is a good income and you can actually SAVE money with it if you do the program and stick to it!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2010