Is calling someone a breastfeeding nazi really necessary?

Ok I know I'll take some smack for this one but as many of you know I not a BFer at all but there is something that has been bothering me and i have to get it off my chest. I have honestly never heard of so many moms who are so passionate about BF tell I began pregnant on this site. And I know how pushy they can get and how defensive us FFers can get when we are subjected to the unwanted advice.

But that being said is calling those women who are passionate about BFing breasting Nazis really necessary? Did you ever think that part of the reason you are getting bashed and feeling the way you do is because they too are getting bashed and standing up for what they believe?

It just seems so deragatory. Why can't we just support each other instead of having to choice a side.

Sorry this has just been bugging me lately!

theladybugscafe

Asked by theladybugscafe at 9:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think what that mom was saying is that sometimes FF moms feel the need to tell us BFing moms why they couldn't BF and it was too hard for them etc etc and she was saying that many of those excuses don't hold water and that they'd be better off if they were intellectually honest with themselves and others by saying that they were unwilling to work through the issues that prevented them from continuing to BF. I think it is more effective to approach this issue very gently because it is so personal and because it is really up to each individual mother to make the determination of whether they can BF and how long they are able to.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 3:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• No that's not necessary! To each his own. Don't let these women bother you! It's your choice not anyone on CM!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't let them bother me or at least I try not to. I just hate the fact that people are calling them nazis. That is so not right and may be part of the bashing they get from them.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 9:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Well when people are called bad mothers for FF yeah, when you get judged for raising your child the way you choose to just because someone else doesn't think its right they rip you a new one and call you a bad parent...I have no respect for those people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

OK. First, I've never seen a BFing mom call a FF mom a bad mom for FF, but anyway, even if they did, why can't you just be the bigger person? You don't have to stoop to their level and call them bad things.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't think it is right at all, just as telling formula feeding moms they are feeding their kids poison is wrong. Some women on this site need to get over it. I could care less what moms feed their kids, as long as they are taking care of them
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Krysta622~ thank you exactly my point. why stoop to there level. be the bigger person
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 10:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• NO.

The women called breastfeeding nazis are most often presenting facts, study results and other good information about breastfeeding and the dangers of formula feeding.

People don't want to be told they are doing something that might not be the best idea when it comes to their child. They get defensive and start calling names. It's unnecessary and it's sad but that's just the way people are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I really don't care what they present, don't tell me how to raise my child. I do what I do because it works for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• anon 10:09~ that was so not the question! And it does prove my defensivness point though.
    theladybugscafe

Answer by theladybugscafe at 10:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2010