Can you answer this?

Would you take emailing previleges away from you tween if they retaliated w/the same words as was said to them? Back and forth saying shut-up, you are dumber than water, etc 0ver 50 x. if your child wasn't the one who started it but has poor impulse control. Is this a cop-out? Should you take it away just from that one kid emailing or all kids emailing even if this is the only one she's had problems with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you think that this situation would be corrected by just taking email away? I don't think so, if she is sending her emails this way then she is probably also doing this at school. I would block this person online and I would talk to the school about the bullying on BOTH sides and work to get it all resolved.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Both parties need to be disciplined.
    Anonymous

• My tween doesn't have email & isn't allowed to play on the internet. If she wants to talk to friends she can pick up the phone. It's too easy for tweens/teens to dehumanize the person they are typing to. By that, I mean they forget that the person receiving the message is a living being with feelings that can be hurt. They are less likely to say mean things in person or on the phone.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010