Is this seriously what people think? (Q about potty training age)

My daughter just turned 18 months and is wearing underwear when we go out of the house now. She has gotten to the point where she tells us almost every time she needs to go while we're home, and now at home I only take her if she asks, and she's down to about an accident a day. When we go out of the house, like to the library or the museum, I just take her once when we get there and another time 45 minutes later. Yesterday, she had her first accident in public -- at the library. She peed just a tiny bit, I said, "hold" it, and we ran to the potty and she finished there. It was a quarter-size accident, just barely leaked through to the pants. Another mom watching us looked at me when I got back from the bathroom and said, "she's a BABY. What do you expect? Sheesh." I told her my other daughter trained young, too, and that I'm comfortable cleaning up a few accidents. She said she felt sorry for my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• while I understand it's your choice what you do at home, but unless you are the one cleaning up the accidents that happen in public, then you should probably invest in some pullups or cloth training pants and plastic covers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• (OP, sorry this is long). But is this really what people think? That I'm training my daughters out of cruelty? They are happy, healthy, well-adjusted. My first was not very potty-aware when we started, she did fine. My second daughter led the way with wanting to sit on the potty like big sister, and waking up dry half the time. Do people really think it would be better to wait until my kids are 3 just to avoid a few accidents?
    Anonymous

• I think its awesome that she is telling you and you are able to save some serious cash not having to buy diapers. Good Luck :D
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• OMG that's horrible! If a kid is ready to potty train then they're ready, and it's totally fine! The stick up her ass must have been extra uncomfortable that day.

My daughter is almost 2 and still isn't ready to potty train. It goes both ways, train before 2 and you're horrible, train after 2 and you're horrible. You're doing good, mamma, don't let that nasty bitch get to you lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• OP again -- I would clean up the accident in public, of course! I come fully prepared to do that! We haven't had one that has leaked through onto anything else yet... the one yesterday, like I said, barely got to her pants. She wore a pull-up over her undies for the past 2 weeks with no accidents while we were out, and so we just moved to underwear-only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• first anon again
    Sorry but yes, I agree. She is a baby. She's obviously not trained if she's still having accidents daily. IMHO you have just trained yourself to take her to the potty regularly.

I'm not saying you have to wait, if it's what SHE wants to do, then that's fine.
    But she's not potty trained
    and peeing in public is not OK I don't care how old, especially if you just leave the mess and run off to the bathroom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Sounds like your little girl is totally ready and totally gets it. Just ignore the comments that some might make. Every child is different. Good for you for following your child's cues!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Sounds like the woman was just a jealous snob.Don't let it get to you. I think its awesome your girl is almost fully trained at 18 months. If she can tell you in public she has to go..that is great! Keep up the good work mom...hope my girl is as smart as yours when she gets to that age!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Maybe the lady was going on the fact that you said HOLD IT...and to her that seemed bad. Because like when I was working with me son, he was 2.5, it took maybe three days at home for him to be fully trained, no pull-ups. He never had an accident out of the house. Night accidents a time or two. That is what she thinking when she was telling you that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think you are doing a great job!
    Keep up the good work!!:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2010