Would you/do you work with your husband?

Like, in a boss/secretary capacity?

My DH told me he wants me to be his secretary, but he'd be worried about me being able to "leave the work problems at the office." I just kind of laughed, being that I am the rational one...
But still, I'm wondering if it's a good idea in the first place. I want to work, I'm just hesitant to work with him..

Does anyone have experiences to share about working with their husbands/SOs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband and I run our home based business. We love working together. I really think it takes a special couple to do it. You have to make agreements with each other and stick to them. It can be difficult to stop talking about work while you are trying to be with the family. It takes practice. What's the worst thing that can happen? Getting fired by your hubby? Good luck!!
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 10:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Sort of my husband and I do kinda work together. I have a home business that I run and he just up dates my website, and markets my website he does everything for my website. I do the rest. He also works a full time job outside the home. So things work real well.
    If you think that its going to be hard for you two then dont do it. Because you have to think about your marriage as well.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 10:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My husband owned a small business that was run out of our home. I did all the secretarial stuff like taking phone calls and messages, booking appointments, giving quotes, advertising, billing, collections, etc. It worked fine for us. I guess it depends on your relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My husband trains horses for a living, and it's up to me to schedule them and get all things organized. And yes, I do ride too! ; ) So, somewhat, I'm his secretary... without me handling the booking and the finances, he'd be out of luck. It's doable for us...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• before we were married and had kids, I got him a job at walmart on the nigh shift with me, and I had to train him. He was none to happy to have to listen to me lol
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• my dh is a chiropractor. for 1 year i worked in the office with him. now i just do the billing from home. we fought a bit, i always feel undervalued and under appreciated...but i feel like that at home too...so that is just our relationship. he has finally hired his own assistant, and he is almost afraid to ask her to do things, but with me there was no hesitation in ordering me around.
    anyhow, i really think it was good for our business when i was in the office. even though my dh did not feel as though i were obedient enough, when i was there was the best our business ever did! i would say try it out, and if it doesn't work, then try something else. it can't hurt!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We basically have the same profession, but I prefer to work away from him. I've helped him out in the past fixing finances his office manager screwed up. Once I got everything straight I hired and trained someone on how to manage things the way he likes it done. We think differently, clash on ideas, and he gets crabby. I like the idea of getting away from him. I've always held my own and like knowing if his business ever has problems that I have different income coming in aside from his business. We often work together on projects, like I am the project engineer and he's a subcontractor under me. I treat him like any other subcontractor and he often gets his feelings hurt because I will lecture at meetings when they're behind schedule, but all is fine when we walk thru the doors to the house. He knows business is business and I'm happy and good at what I do.

Give it a try.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My spouse and I have worked together. I am a better boss than he is....

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My husband and I have two work from home businesses. We work together very well. The only challenge we have is talking about "work" on our "off time" ... since we work and live in the same place, it's not like a regular job where the two are easily separated so sometimes we dont' take the traditional day off.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 8:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010