which looks better on a job application?

im planning on going back to school to get my Masters of Education. i want to teach, but got the wrong degree for that. i talked to an admissions advisor yesterday and he told me that for the subject i want to teach i would need a background in that area. he suggested going to their University for a minor in that area. however, the community college has an Associates in that area that would be cheaper to get, and it would be more classes.

so which looks better, an extra minor or an Associates?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 10:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• An associates is better than a minor, but if the universities program or classes are more in depth or challenging,it may be better to proceed with a minor. I would check to see if you can get an associates if you already have a BA. For some reason, I didn't think that you could, if if was within a certain amount of time after your BA, but if it is at a different school, it may not matter. It could have been my universities rule. You also could graduate with two BAs at the same time, even if you did all of the the work.

I would take what the admissions officer said with a grain of salt. I know many people that were totally screwed by listening to them. It cost them an 2-3 semesters. Do you want to teach community college or K-12?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think an associates but I am not in the teaching field. It seems either would work. Maybe you could ask the counselor.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Are there any programs in your state that would help with the cost? I know here in NC if you have a 4 year degree in anything, you can do the "lateral entry" program to start teaching, as long as you start taking classes to get your teaching certification at the same time. Unless I'm way off, I think the schools pay for your certification classes as well.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Call a school district you would like to work for and ask them. The admissions advisor isn't paid to turn students away.
    Anonymous

• I would speak with a hiring manager.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010