What are your feelings on "walkers" for a 7 month old baby?

I am not sure what I think - I have read conflicting reports on the pros & cons....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine had one, we liked it. No stairs and big doorways in my house though. He learned to walk just fine. He never ran into anything. I see why some wouldn't want one, but, I was home with him watching him and they didn't have the saucers back then anyway. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• As long as they're in a safe area its fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• They are dangerous and even banned in Canada. Walkers make babies too mobile when they aren't ready for that stage, put them in a height position where they can reach things they normally wouldn't, they are tipping hazards, babies can move extremely fast in them and can get into danger in just a few seconds. Also if left in them too long there is a lot of pressure on the spine and hips, and it encourages toe walking.

The best thing to encourage walking is to put the baby on the floor and let them decide for how long and when to sit up, stand, or scoot.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• until the baby's muscles are strong enough to support their weight, then they shouldn't be standing or walking like that. they will walk on their own when they are strong enough.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• hate them. I'd get a stay in place bouncy entertainment center ot exersaucer type thing instead. I'm surprised you are reading conflicting pros/cons. all ?I ever hear is cons. I can't think of any pros
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• They are not dangerous. They do not damage muscles in a 7 month old. Most babies are pulling themselves up by that time so a walker could help in that situation. The only danger I have ever heard of is parents not bothering to keep a child in one away from stairs and that kind of thing.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Walkers DON'T help them walk. The AAP wants them banned.

If you're looking for a "baby container" then an exersaucer is better. If you're trying to encourage walking, then more holding the baby up on his feet, either in your lap or on the floor.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• wildflower25 walkers ARE dangerous. Most walker injuries occure when parents are WATCHING. That's how fast a baby can move or get caught between furniture, tip over, get their fingers stuck, or pull on items they shouldn't be able to reach.

"Health Canada banned the sale, advertisement and importation of baby walkers in Canada in April 2004. The move was lauded by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), which has been urging the US government to ban baby walkers since 1995. No ban ever took place. Instead, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has been promoting new safety standards for baby walkers."

They aren't banned in the USA simply because money is more important. Parents are sold all kinds of things they don't need and many of them dangerous to development. Babies don't need help to walk! They have it in their blood, they will walk in their own time under their own steam.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i never meant to insinuate that walkers could damage the muscles. actually, standing before the body is physically able can put unnecessary pressure on the spine!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The US is the only industrialized country that has not banned walkers. They are very dangerous.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2010