I'm not doing Black History Month.

I am homeschooling my children, and I am not doing Black History Month. Throughout the year, I am teaching my children how certian black men and black women had an inpact on history, as I am teaching them about certain german men and women, along with chinese, japanese, etc. I do not believe black people to be any more special or deserving than any other race, infact the german jews had it worse. I am not going to teach my children racism; I will not dedicate an entire month to a certain race.

How do you feel about that? Intellegent answers only please.
Anonymous for a reason.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We don't acknowledge it, not until every other race gets a special month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree with your way of teaching it. I think we should learn about all races and contributions. I also think that neither race as a whole should be singled out. I do not believe in being racist or prejudice under any circumstance.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Good, cause it's really March already.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree. The mindset that you portray to them is absolutely beautiful, and though I do not agree with homschooling, I believe that you have taken an intelligent approach on the topic of race.

Unfortunately, it is devoted because a % of the US population were, in fact, horrible people. In years to come, I hope that we can look past that to the reality of TODAY, and not dwell in the past. I would much prefer seeing a whole month devoted to agriculture, fine arts, music, etc. than see it used in this way.

If I looked at it from the standpoint of wrong doing, and attempting atonement, then why do we not have Native American month as well? (my daughter actually asked me that this past month- she is 1/4 cherokee)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree with you and Bradenismyson
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Not a problem, I never thought those "months and days" were for anything but getting the information out. If you do iton your own one important person at a time why do we need to celebrate a certain kind of people at a certain time?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• jewjewbee: I said intellegent answers only please. I said "I dont" as in, "I dont EVER".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think that integrating the accomplishments of all in to your teachings is wise. If age appropriate, you may want to tell your children its Black History Month and discuss why (or why not) you think its appropriate or necessary to have such a month. Discuss if they think it polarizes or educates- you will be surprised the thoughts of children and how far this generation has come in terms of understanding that maybe celebrating based on race does more harm than good. We have replaced Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, etc.. with Famous Americans (all races) Famous Figures (all races), Biography (all races), Explorers/Scientists (all races) units- I think this helps kids focus on the accomplishment over the races. It is more relevant to their lives-they see people of all races accomplishing things in their everyday lives-maybe 50 years ago this was not the case-but today it is.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree...history includes all races,all cultures,all backrounds and should be intergrated and taught throughout the entire year,not just one race for an entire month. I never did quite understand how that was accepted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Welcome to CafeMom
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2010