What's your experience with carpet dyeing?

My family is moving and has pretty much maxed out our home improvement budget with a complete bath and kitchen remodel in our new home. The one big thing we have skipped for now is replacing carpet. The carpet is mostly in very good shape (must have been really high quality carpet), but it is green (1070's green)! I am considering dyeing it before we move in.

Have you ever had your carpet dyed? Did you hire someone to do it, or did you do it yourself? What did it cost? How did it turn out? How long did it last? Any advice of what to do or what not to do? Would you do it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't....we own a carpet cleaning business and the only dying we do is a color match dye for bleach spots and other stains that dyed the fibers and can't be removed with cleaners. And honestly, do you know if there are wooden floors underneath? Wood floors are more valueable and sought after than carpet....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't think you can dye over green, unless it's a very light green and you dye over it with a darker color, like dark brown or deep purple. You won't be able to make it beige, if that's what you have in mind. Rule of thumb: carpet is sort of like your hair and can only be dyed with a darker color over a lighter color. With your hair, you can try bleaching it out, then going over it with blonde (if you want it to feel like straw when you're done), but you can't do that with carpet.
    Anonymous

• I didn't mean to submit, sorry. My last point is that you're probably just stuck with the carpet that's in there and should start saving for new carpet instead of wasting time and money on something that probably can't be done well. If you're still unsure, try locating a color repair specialist in your area and set up an appointment for a consultation.
    Anonymous

• Our neighbor dyed the shag in her place and it ruined the carpet. It now has bald spots because the chemical destroyed the fibers and they started breaking off from wear & when she would vacuum.

Personally, I'd live with the crappy carpet until you can afford to replace it. We have a horridly stained beige carpet in our bedroom because, even though I shampooed it 5 times, it will not come clean and we just can't afford to replace it right now. Like you, we did more pressing progectes first. We gutted both the kitchen & bathroom and re-did them and refinished all of the downstairs hardwood floors, so the carpet in the bedroom is just going to have to wait.
    Anonymous

• Thanks. The carpet is not horrible, and I really don't want to spend the money to replace it until my twin toddlers are 100% potty trained. I guess we'll just live with the green for a while.
    Anonymous

• "I wouldn't....we own a carpet cleaning business and the only dying we do is a color match dye for bleach spots and other stains that dyed the fibers and can't be removed with cleaners. And honestly, do you know if there are wooden floors underneath? Wood floors are more valueable and sought after than carpet.... "

It's a concrete slab foundation. We have installed new tile and wood in many areas already, but we want to have some carpet to absorb noise. My mom put wood floors throughout her house, and even with area rugs the accoustics are terrible. I'll just stick with the green carpet for a while.
    Anonymous