When will childhood fun and games stop being an issue?

As a child, who didn't play cops and robbers, or kiss and tell? Does this upset anyone that a child is suspended for doing a kid thing?

URL in first reply.

JonesboroGypsy

Asked by JonesboroGypsy at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• JonesboroGypsy

Answer by JonesboroGypsy at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It all depends, I think, on how hurt emotionally the one who was hurt, is. A student with a disability or a student from a low income family, or a student sensitive to skin color, family background etc. feels differently than those students without any of those.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't even know what "kiss and tell" is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• One thing I have learned from having a boy...they will make weapons out of anything. i think because this boy was warned before, he should have gotten in some sort of trouble, tho I think suspension is a little harsh.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• A finger is not a weapon. I'm more than a little disgusting with schools and zero tolerance rules.

It makes more sense to teach children the difference between a gun and a finger, and the difference between Midol and crack, than to lump them all together and punish them all the same.

Arbitrary rules are ludicrous and do nothing to improve the education of our children.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I read the story from the link...what a CROCK 'O CRAP! The child was essentially POINTING with his finger! He had nothing in his hand...no toy, no weapon..............he just used his INDEX finger. This school and school district went WAY overboard. If I were the parents I would sue.

I also read some of the comments...one I found interesting....if they boy is going to be punished for this then they must make teachers stop pointing in the classroom...especially if they are pointing in a disciplinary fashion...it could be perceived as threatening and it might scare a child.................. this would of course be just as silly as what was done to the child.

Personally, I think playing "cops & robbers" or "good guys/bad guys" is good for kids. It helps them as they learn to differentiate between right and wrong.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• "if they boy is going to be punished for this then they must make teachers stop pointing in the classroom...especially if they are pointing in a disciplinary fashion...it could be perceived as threatening and it might scare a child.................."

Can you imagine if these stupid rules were applied outside of school?  The cops arrest you for pointing at your neighbor.  CPS gets called because your two-yr-old pointed at the baby.   PETA files a lawsuit to stop people from pointing at birds and animals. 

"OMG he threatened me with HIS FINGER!" 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• LOL mancos! I suppose using "the" finger would then be a death penalty offense!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Depends on the FINGER, Special. Middle finger, and you get accused of attempted rape and sexual assault, your name forever on a sex offenders list......
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• LOL, Mancos!
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 4:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010