For those of you with Hypothyroidism...

Have you found a way to maintain your weight? I didn't get hypothyroidism until after I had my baby, and I don't do anything to lose of gain weight. I do just like I did before I got pregnant, except I gain like crazy, as before I didn't at all. I was always able to stay a certain weight. I got down to 136 pounds after my baby was born, I think due to breastfeeding, and since then, in less than a year after, I have went from that to 170. I almost weigh as much as I did at 9 months pregnant! Which was 183. I've heard people say go gluten-free, but does it actually help? Any other things you have found to help manage weight with Hypothyroidism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Health

• I've never heard of the "going gluten-free" thing for it- I've actually been told that unless you have an actual sensitivity to gluten, the gluten-free diet can become very unhealthy.

I've never gotten to my pre-baby weight since my daughter either, but I did drop down to within five pounds of it by just watching what I eat, keeping my diet full of fresh fruit and veggies, and by doing an hour of cardio a day at least five days a week (and I do it in the privacy of my own home).

Basically, you just really need to watch yourself and do the exercise thing. It sucks (I hate to exercise), but it's the only thing you can do other than your yearly test to make sure that your meds are still keeping you in the proper range of hormones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2010

• http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/weightgain.aspx?id=14&campaignno=thyroid&keywords=hypothyroid
    My internet has the annoying pop-ups that we can't get rid of. It seems to hone in on certain phrases. This time the pop-up was kind of interesting. Copy and past the web address. It's explains a little bit about why hypothyroidism causes us so many difficulties with weight.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 12:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2010