Do you think he's too young to start potty training?

My son is 16 months. For the past week he has been coming to me saying "poo" and then, sometime within the next 5 minutes, going to the same corner of the dining room to poop. I couldn't believe it... he's been telling me after the fact for the past couple of months, and even getting me the wipes and a diaper sometimes. Then just yesterday, he said it, I checked his diaper (I had only changed it 20 minutes before) and it was 100% clean and dry. Then he got this look, then tugged at his diaper, and said it again. I checked it again and he had just PEED. He told me BEFORE he peed, I couldn't believe it. He also hates having his diaper changed (he hates lying down and having me wipe his but -- but I have to assume he likes being clean because he brings me the diaper). I had totally heard boys usually aren't ready till between 3-4. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think he's too young. My boys both weren't ready until after their third birthdays. With our first we tried earlier, when he started taking off his diaper and smearing poop everywhere, but I think it just made it worse. Our second trained no problems when he was ready.
    Anonymous

• Go for it. Age is not really the issue, it's readiness. Some kids aren't ready. Yours might be. My son was 2.5. But, it happens.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• That sounds just like my daughter at around the same age. Go for it! Maybe take it slow, let him sit on the potty after meals and after nap... see what happens. Plenty of boys are ready to train long before 3-4. I don't have boys, but my girls sure were. GL!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• He sounds like he could be an easy one to train and I would try for it! I started dd at 18 mos and she started out fine... by 21 mos she wouldn't go near the potty so I put it away until she turned 2. Try it and see if he's ready, if not you can try again later! And it is frustrating when they don't get it and you know they can, just try not to let yourself get discouraged!
    Anonymous

• yes start training. there is no reason to wait. do it a week wear you can stay home. maybe put big boy underwear on him and let him just run around the house. when you see him starting to go, or if he tells you he has to go, then run him to the potty. it will be a few days of hell. but worth it. if youre willing to give it your all, then i say go for it. my only suggestion is maybe wait until it is a bit warmer out. that way he can just run around the house in his underwear. good luck!
    Anonymous

• *when* you can stay home
    Anonymous

• Yes!!!
    Anonymous

• No! Do it now well he can't talk back or argue with you about it. I did it at that age with 3 boys all while I watched friends of mine with 3 year olds yelling at them they didn't want to go potty on a potty. Trust me.
    Anonymous