Cloth diapering mamas: What are your thoughts on AIO's?

I have 3 children and have only used disposable diapers. But with this economy and only 1 income, we need to save money. We just spent $52 yesterday on diapers (I have 2 in diapers and a 3 yr old that wears pull ups at nap and bedtimes). I was thinking of switching to cloth diapers to save. My biggest concerns are I want something easy to use and I want something that doesn't leak.

What about AIO's? I was thinking of purchasing some Kushies AIO's.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• join the Cloth Diapering Mamas group, your questions will be better answered there and there are a lot of stickies with introductory info.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I haven't tried the AIO's. We use prefolds with Thirsties covers around the house and pocket diapers when we are out and about. Once you get the hang of the prefolds, they are really easy. Even my husband changes the prefolds without any problems. They are also the cheapest. One reason I've never tried the AIO's is because everything I've read talks about them taking a lot longer to dry. After washing twice and then drying for two drying cycles, I really don't want to add more time to drying them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I have always used AIOs. With baby number 3 I switched to pocket diapers and I am sold! You can get the bum genius 3.0, or the fuzzibunz one size and use them for all of your kids (they fit approx 8-35 lbs). Go to http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I'm not concerned with the drying time because I have a new samsung washer and dryer and the dryer dries super fast. Plus, with 3 little ones I do a ton of laundry and am just used to it. All I care about is ease of use and no leaks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• maggiemom, if you check back here could you tell me why you chose pocket diapers over AIOs? I haven't used a cloth diaper at all yet, so am really new to all of this.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I love prefolds and covers for my kids. They aren't really difficult (you do have to learn how to fold and which ones are best for you but once you have that down it's super easy). I do have some AIOs for my newborn that I use for nights and when we go out. The biggest problem with them is drying - it takes them a long time to dry completely.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 12:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I like the pockets over the AIOs because they have the soft fleece against the skin. the pee goes through to the soaker on the inside and the fleece stays "dry". With AOIs like Kushies it is cotton flannel against the skin and the wet stays against their skin (some people claim this makes potty training easier because they feel it more, that was NOT the case in my house!) Pocket diapers are basically like AOIs except you stuff the soaker into the pocket instead of the soaker being sewn in. At first I thought this would be a pain but it isn't.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I use AIO's mostly. I love them. I prefer the ones with snaps to the velcro ones. I use Green & Comfy, which I buy on eBay for about $5 to $8 a piece for NEW ones! They combine shipping on any auctions won within a week period, so the shipping comes to whatever the shipping is for the first diaper, plus one dollar for each additional diaper.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I like AI2s better bc they dry faster and absorb more. I use bumgenius organics for our out diapers and goodmamas with flip covers for at home.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 6:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2010