How do all the other Mom's feel out there about TV? Is my Daughter watching too much TV? How many hours a day do you allow your children?

shamrock1130

Asked by shamrock1130 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dh is 19 months old... and she watches tv. well tv shows directed at her age that is- like sesame street, super why, sid the science kid, barney. i also make sure to read to her. to take her to the museums, zoos, parks, kiddy gym, and library. she is doing great. she can say about every word. she knows what almost everything is. and she is using 3-5 word sentences. i think tv is fine, as long as you make sure to also read to them, set aside some play time w/o tv, and get them out and running around. good luck.
    Anonymous

• that is supposed to say "dd" is 19 month old. haha.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you and I are on the same page... I like the noise and end up with the tv on ALL day! She doesn't watch it all day, it just on that long... I think she actually sits and watches it for 4-6 hours a day. I'd LOVE to take her somewhere to play but DH always has the car and there is 3 ft of snow on the ground so parks and walking are out. I feel dd watches too much tv but we seriously can't find anything else to do!
    Anonymous

• My son watched alot of t.v., it hasn't hampered his learning or anything. He is 14 and doesn't watch as much now...just on his own. I don't put a time limit or a sensor on t.v. As long as he is a good kids and does what he is supposed to. He has always watched alot of movies though. Even ones not geared towards his age. I never sheltered him, I let him watch and explained and helped him cope and learn from it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Ditto exactly what your 1st anon said. My dd is 19 months and watches Sesame Street and Your Baby Can Read daily and some days Barney & Sid the Science Kid. We also do the zoos, museums, parks, play dates, and her favorite toys are books. She brings 5+ books to me to read to her daily. If I ever got the notion that she wasn't advancing, reading, or playing the tv would be cut off completely until I saw fit. Sometimes if I want noise but don't want the tv available I'll turn on music...then she plays, dances, reads...whatever she wants. :)
    I did babysit for a 2 yr old kid who did nothing but stare at the television when it was on so I had to turn it off for him. He would cry when I turned it off...obviously he'd been watching too much! He didnt say words and had no interest in books.
    Use GOOD judgement!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• PS..I've also used TV in combination with the other ways I teach her. I point out animals, instruments, words, objects....we make it interactive. Just yesterday she saw a car commercial and said "caw, caw, caw"...lol. And I had been teaching her that word as we went out and about, and in one of her word books. Its cool to see all of her learning come together...even through tv.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My stepboys (DH has primary custody so we have them pretty much all of the time) watch little tv. They are 4 & 5, sometimes I'll leave it on a channel they can watch at night in case they wake up extra early. In the afternoon when I'm getting supper started they will watch a show or two. But mostly they play with their cars, dinosaurs and blocks. DH and I don't really watch that much tv, although there are shows that we all like to watch, we're waiting for the new seasons.
    I'm probably in the minority in that I don't think too much tv is good for anybody, even the stuff they make for little kids isn't really that good for them, have you seen some of the studies they've done?
    My ex was brought up in front of the tv ALL the time, now he has to have it on almost 24/7, even if he's not in the room. What a waste of electricity!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son is 15 months old and we watch Sesame Street - although he kinda half watches/half plays. He shows zero interest in any other shows so we just don't watch them. I imagine in time he might want to see more and I'll have to limit how much he watches. My older kids get an hour of screen time/weekdays during school and 2 hours/day on weekends and off school days, so I imagine he'll run about the same. (although my youngest stopped napping at 3 and I used to let her watch a movie during her "rest time" during which sometimes she would fall asleep, and I never counted that as part of her screen time)

Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son is 2-1/2 and he watches about an hour and that hour is when he's eating breakfast and he's also playing and at no other time in the day will he sit to watch tv. or cuddle, or stay still lol!! >he is just too active to sit and watch anything but he likes the tv on so he catches things here and there
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My 9 (soon to be 10 yr old) is allowed one hour per day of his choice.He usually gets up in the morning to watch 1/2 hour cartoon show and then a 1/2 hour show in the evening.On the weekends,I am a little more lienient about it..he can watch movies and stuff but I don't let him sit there all day.
    HOWEVER....I do have PBS on in the living room all day for my 1 year old. She doesnt sit there and watch it all day, I mostly just keep it on for the noise I guess, every so often an interested song or something will come on that grabs her attention, she'll watch it for a few minutes then go play.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010