How do you get rid of odors in sports equipment?

My 7 year old son plays ice hockey. All of his equipment smells NASTY! I wash what I can but can't get the odors out of his skates and other non-washable equipment. I've tried different sprays and stuff but nothing seems to work effectively. Please help!!

wokingmommy

Asked by wokingmommy at 1:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• ODOBAN. It's sold at Walmart and at Sam's Club (in gallon concentrated form if you have lots of nasty smells)
    Anonymous

• have you tried baking soda?
    Anonymous

• I'll try that too. My 14 year old plays hockey and it is just gross. It only gets worse as they get older. Try to take everything out of the bag after he plays, and when you can put it all outside. They do have big machines at the Pro Shops that are supposed to completely deodorize it. I've never tried it, but I heard it works. I have put everything but the skates in the washing machine, even the gloves and shoulder pads. Then I put it all outside. Whatever you do to get the smell out, one sweaty game and it all stinks again. It's a loosing battle!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Baking soda is what I use for my son's sports gear and my husband's work gear - works like a charm! For the stuff I can wash, I add a half cup to the load, let it soak for an hour, then run the washer as usual with detergent, etc. For the stuff I can't wash, like shoes, I sprinkle the baking soda in the shoes and leave them set overnight, then dump out the baking soda and vacuuming up what sticks (make sure shoes are dry before doing this or you'll have paste). For stuff I can't wash, but will fit in a plastic bag (the giant ziplocs work well for this), I dump some baking soda into the bottom of the bag, then add in the item to be freshened, then shake it all up and leave it to set overnight.
    Anonymous

• My gma suggested using vinegar/water/mouthwash. It's a dilute of an odor-negator/germicide. My mom has used a solution of this for 12 years for my brother's sports equipment.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• matobe, how does she use this? Does she spray it on the equipment and just let it dry or does she wipe the equipment down with the mix or does actually was the stuff in a machine? Also, what is the ingredient ratio?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2010