i am so tired of working, how does your family make it with you being a sahm? What are the secrets of making it on one income? and what are your monthly expenses and how much do you have coming in from dh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I babysit at home to make some extra income for small necessities and some small bills from time to time. What we've had to sacrifice is going out (no dinner and movie night for us),I don't get to buy clothes and accessories for myself like I used to :( I don't get my hair done,my nails done and I don't even get my eyebrows waxed anymore (okay,i'm crying now,lol),we've consolidated down to one vehicle,cut our cable bill down by eliminating a bunch of channels,cut down our own firewood from the yard,use the woodburning stove to keep the furnace from coming on too often, heat turned to about 64,keep unneeded electricity shut off,buying cheaper diapers,shopping at second hand stores and yardsales for the kids clothes,getting shoes from Kmart and Walmart instead of FootLocker and other namebrand places..ugh..I can't bare to go on.. LOL. Hey, if I don't laugh, I will cry...but I must say..The sacrifices have been so worth it :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I hear ya mama, I worked all my life until a year ago,I'm 50 this year. My dh makes about $45,000.00 as an Executive chef . Our rent is 875 for a beautiful house with built in pool here in Florida. I shop at Sav a lot and thrift stores, we only have one ds living at home, we have one car and I sometimes drive dh to work, only 3 miles, we moved close to his work  for this reason. I am lucky to be home and homes cool my son but sometimes I get bored and miss having "my own" money and the socializing at work. i am always looking for part time work but secretly LOVE not having to work!

writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Save, save, save! It took sacrifices and true motivation for me to become a SAHM. That means no weekely trips to the mall, no eating out constantly, no extras. It's totally worth it for me. Then again, our house and cars are paid off. Make a budget, see what you spend and what you can live with out. My hubby is a banker, makes decent money plus quarterly bonuses.
    Anonymous

• I am a firm believer that it's not what you make, it's how you spend what you make. I stay at home working very little freelance and I make $500 a month, my SO makes about $2500 a month. Obviously we do not make a llot but we have money in our savings, very little debt and we share a car. You can definitely make it work if you want to just be careful how you spend your money and keep track of your money.
    Anonymous

• To the first poster-that's really sad. 64? I would never sacrifice that much just to sit on my but all day.
    Anonymous

• ive always been home.. we live bill to bill week to week. im finally picking up on my businesses and finally starting to make money to pay off the medical bills and credit cards. things we've had to put on the back burner when my hubby lost his job.. we've taken a 10$ an hour pay cut its hard. plus knowing we have a brand new cadillac we have to pay for too is hard...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i'm the op, we keep ours at 67. not much difference. How is that sad. I work full time and so does my dh
    Anonymous

• Have you ever thought about working from home to make some extra money? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 ½ year old and 1 year old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Umm..in response to me having my heat on 64...we also use a woodburning stove and burn firewood to keep our house warm...how is that sad,lol. We keep the cost of our fuel oil down by doing that. And I very much so do not sit on my butt all day, thank you very much.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We have been on my DH's income since Sept 08. The key is prioritize.

DH makes oh, $35,000, plus whatever extra on the side if he takes on some extra horses for me to work with. There's only the 3 of us, DS is 11mos, so we have diapers and formula, etc... but $700/rent, between $350-400 to utilities (phone, inet, tv, cell phones included)

We can live on dirt floors, so doing without is nothing out of the norm for us. (No, we don't live on dirt floors, but feel it would be fabulous to live in a cabin in the woods, slaughter our own meat and grow our own veggies, the cowboy way!!) So obviously, it doesn't take much to keep us happy.

It can be done, you just have to prioritize your budget and be very aware of what you'll need.

The last ranch DH managed provided housing and utilities, and we made it on 1800/mo, easy.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2010