Do breastfeeding mothers really get smack for feeding in public?

I'm really just curious. I have heard about laws being passed to protect BF'ing mothers and the horrible things they are called, evil stares, etc... I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I'm wondering how often. Have any of you experienced this personally? I only have one lady walk up to me when I breastfed in public (at a restaurant no less...although covered by a blanket) and she only came over to say that she thought it was great that I was nursing. So obviously, my experience does not relate. lol. This is NOT a debate on whether moms should nurse in public...it's to find out personal experiences with being called names, stared at, etc...

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its ok to breastfeed in public but if you don't want negative reactions once in a while then don't do it because there will always be people with negative opinions.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 1:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I breastfed 2 babies & never exposed my breasts in public.
    Anonymous

• Thankfully I never had any negative comments towards me, but I rarely had to BF in public. I made sure that he was well fed if I needed to go anywhere, but if I needed to BF I would
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I've never had a real issue. There was one time at a restaurant where someone glared at me. ( I was covered and had a nursing top on) DH told him if he continued to stare at me he would have to charge him. He stopped looking. LOL But other than that I never had a problem. I used mommy rooms when avaliable and basically tried not to take baby out if I knew baby would need fed soon.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• why not just pump the milk out of your boobs and put it in baby bottles...it's still breast milk...you just don't have to flash everyone to feed them in public
    Anonymous

• i'm just saying...they make breast pumps for a reason
    Anonymous

• Why should someone cover up when feeding a baby. This is what's wrong with the world-everyone covers things up.

I used to get some looks but ignored them because my baby being full is more important.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 1:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I breastfed my first and am currently breastfeeding my second and no one has ever said anything to me. The closest thing I ever got was a couple of young male servers at a restaurant snickering from across the dining the room. I am always discreet and cover up, people don't really give it a second look.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Why should someone cover up when feeding a baby

because not everyone has the same views as you do and to show respect for people who don't want their children to see boobies cover yourself, Feed your baby in public...PLEASE feed your child, but I really don't want my FF baby to see your tit
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:55- I wish either of my girls would take expressed milk from a bottle, but they wouldn't. I either have to stay at home all the time or feed them in public, so I do what I gotta do. No one has ever seen my boob while feeding in public.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2010