Would you want your child to join the millitary, army or navy? I wouldn't and it bugs me when they try to recruit my child.

I'd much rather have my son go to college. Maybe the millitary is better for people who need dicipline or are not very smart and that is their only option.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 1:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• That's not a great opinion. My husband's best friend went to college, graduated, and went in as an officer.

To answer your question, I would not push the military on my child or children. However, if they seriously thought about it and knew the risks, I would stand beside their decision.

Even for smart people, college is not for everyone. Some people have always dreamed of joining the military.
    Anonymous

• I'd be a hypocrite cause both my SO and I enlisted for the army...he was rejected for a surgery he had on his hip. I declined when they told me i needed a degree for the position i was applying for. anyway i wouldn't want her to but i couldn't stop her if thats what she wanted because at one point thats what my SO and i wanted
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Um...I was hounded by the Air Force while in high school. Get over it. It's their job to try and recruit. And, they do get training and are able to go through college and get degrees as well. I don't want my son to join, but, I know he has to sign the draft thing at 18, I know the military will try to recruit him and if he chose it, I will support him. Whose gonna protect us if it weren't for them?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Uh...my son is very smart and disciplined, and he's shown a desire to join the Air Force. He has tons of options, but he's interested in aviation, and in serving his country. If my son did go into the military, I would definitely worry, and never stop praying, so selfishly, I hope he doesn't join. But if he does, I will be very proud of him. I am proud of him already, and am proud of him for even considering it, but I'll be the proud mom of a man in uniform if he joins. Personally, I'm trying to get him to go to the Culinary Arts Institute, as he's a better cook than most people I know right now. He'd be a very successful 5-star restaurant owner, I've no doubt. I'd be proud of that too.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son is 19 and currently researching all branches. There are no jobs around and he does not like school at this point. I will stand behind him and think it might be just what he needs, but am terrified of him getting involved in this war.
    Anonymous

• THATS SO JACKED UP!!!!!! 4.0. IN BOTH HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE. IVE NEVER EVEN HAD A PARKING TICKET! I CHOSE TO SERVE MY COUNTRY. AND THE REASON THAT YOU CAN SAFETLY TYPE THIS MESSED UP QUESTION IS BECAUSE MYSELF AND MY BROTHER AND SISTERS IN ARMS, DO OUR JOB. SO IF YOU CANT AT LEAST SUPPORT US THAN FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF US!!!!!!!!! IF YOU ARENT COMFTERABLE WITH YOUR CHILD SERVING THAN FINE BUT DO NOT ATTACK THOSE OF US THAT DO. SOME OF THE MOST INTELLIGENT AND DISAPLINED PEOPLE ARE IN THE MILLITARY. IF YOU DONT WANT YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE DARLING TO SERVE, ( WHICH WOULD BE GOOD FOR HIS SPOILED BUTT) THAN FINE, HES BETTER OFF WORKING AT MCDONALDS ANYWAY. AND YEP I WANT FRYS WITH THAT! BTW I WAS SO MAD THAT I DIDNT GIVE A RATS @$$ ABOUT SPELLING OR GRAMMAR!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I would feel like I had done my job as a parent if my children decided to serve our country! As far as being unintelligent, all military branches require you pass entrance exams.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he will work at McDonalds while he goes to college, I'm fine with that, but I would be upset if he wanted to join the military. I would just rather he go to college.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Do you even need a highschool degree to go into the military, my guess is no, so the entrance exam must be pretty easy.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• IM GOING TO COLLEGE, AND ITS FREE. IM FINACIALY INDEPENDANT AND WILL BE ABLE TO FINISH MY BA WHILE IN AND A MASTERS WHEN I GET OUT. ALL WITHOUT PAYING A CENT FOR IT. ALSO WHEN I APPLY FOR THE SAME JOB THAT YOUR BABY DOES WITH THE SAME LEVEL OF EDUCATION, I WILL GET IT BECAUSE I SERVED IN THE MILITARY. IT SHOWS THAT I HAVE DISAPLINE, TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS, I CAN GET THE JOB DONE NO MATTER WHAT, PEOPLE MANAGMENT SKILLS. SO HE CANT BE ENTRY LEVEL POSITION. BUT YES YPOUR LITTLE BOY CAN SERVE AND GO TO COLLEGE. WHY ARE YOU SO AGAISNT IT?
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 2:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010