How to wean my 9 mth old, keep getting infections!

Hello all, just need some weaning tips for my son who refuses to take formula..not a bottle or cup...just the stuff in it!!! Funny, he's a totally breastfeeding addict! I love him so much and would love to keep going but breast infections are killing me..and I am so afraid to get another one. I have had three! Any one know of a great pump that can get more then an ounce of milk would be great to hear of! I have the advent one that's electric and manual. Just isn't doing the trick! Can't get the suction to stay...and it takes forever!

Thanks, Logan's Mommy

logankaysmomi

Asked by logankaysmomi at 2:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you. But I wanted to let you know that weaning might not stop the infections. How have you been treated? Mastistis I'm assuming, correct?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• ugh mastitis kills. i got it when my son was 4 weeks old, i just quit BF i couldn't stand it he never latched so i had to pump every 3 hrs anyways. but i had the medela freestyle, you can get them on craigslist usually, just buy new hoses and attachements
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 2:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Medela Pump In Style has had great recommendations, but sometimes, the output won't change regardless of the pump you use. One ounce is actually within the range of the average amount for pumping.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You just say breast infection, so I don't know if you're getting mastitis, which I've had once, or thrush, which I had with my second baby and now again with my 3rd.

If it's mastitis, weaning will make it worse. The best way to prevent mastitis is to not get engorged and to never let the baby fall asleep with your nipple in his mouth (use the Pantley method to prevent this). If it's thrush, take grapefruit seed capsules 3 times daily (you have to get them at the health food store) and rinse your nipples off with 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water. This regimen keeps the thrush under control enough that is comfortable to nurse. You only have 3 months to go before his first birthday. Then he'll be so intersted in foods that gradual weaning (dropping a feeding every 5 days until you're done) will be a brease. And with gradual weaning, you won't get engorged.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Thriving Mom has given you great advice!!

If this is about mastitis what ever you do do not wean. You will guarantee yourself a nice case of mastitis that way. Since you are looking to get a better pump that may alleviate all the problems right there. I would suggest a Medela Electric Pump in Style or with 3 months or so to go I would rent a hospital pump. They are cheap to rent, some insurances cover the expense, and are the best pumps you could ever find.

Anonymous

• Weaning will make your current problems look like hangnails. Please drop by kellymom.com to read the article there on causes of recurrent mastitis.

If you still want to wean...drop one feeding per week till gone. DO NOT expect cooperation. Increase solids and experiment with formulas till you find something baby will take.

You will likely find that curing the mastitis is easier..most moms do.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010