How do i discipline my 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son without them thinking im awful? Right now they listen to nothing I tell them to do and just blatenly ignore me.

Jocelynn901

Asked by Jocelynn901 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honey, they are going to think you're awful. That means you're doing your job as a mother right. It's a fact of life: you discipline your kids, they think you're awful, then they grow up and realize that it wasn't so bad.

You need to start disciplining. Tell them what to do and if they don't do it, discipline. If they ignore you, discipline. Are you going to feel bad? Sure. We all feel bad when we have to punish our kids and they give us the tear-filled puppy dog eyes. But you'll feel so much better when they start listening to you and doing as they're told. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Its okay if they get mad at you or think you suck. Like I tell my kids when they tell me they ____ me... that's okay... I still love you.
    Its my job to make sure that you are safe, that you grow up to be healthy, good adults and I'm going to do it b/c I love you.

If you're kids don't get mad at you sometimes.... you're not doing them a favor AT ALL... they need limits that's how they know you love them. You love them sooooo much you're willing to let them be angry at you in order to make sure that they are safe.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• They need you to make them behave. They need boundaries that are enforced. They may be a little miffed when they get caught misbehaving, but they aren't going to think you are awful if you discipline them. Since you have let them ignore you it is going to be a bit of a struggle getting them in line, but it is very doable and very worth your effort. If you need help learning how to discipline check into a parenting class or get some books. Love & Logic parenting classes, books, and CDs are great. If you can find a class I highly recommend giving that atry because it is an easy way to get a good overview of how the program works. Another method that is highly rated is 1-2-3 Magic.
    Anonymous

• Consequences.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I would love to see a good answer to this question. I'm in your shoes, only with a 3 yr old and 2 yr old. I've read all the books. I'm even a licensed social worker, but can't control my toddlers.

The books don't help me. They say be consistant and set boundaries, I am and I do. Trouble is my kids consistantly ignore my boundaries, then what?

I do time outs every time they break the rules and they don't care. I take away favorite toys and they don't care.

I'm stressed out and worn out.

You're not alone. I have no idea what to do.
    Anonymous

• im wondering the same thing, my 4 year old tells me no says he is going to "punch my face off" when i tell him to do something. ive even resorted to spanking which i hate to do but he just kicks and punches the wall in time out! he listens to nothing i say just yells and beats on his brother, never wants to come home when i let him see his grandma and dad, im at the end of rope with this boy and spanking doesnt work either! he just says "that didnt hurt" i have NEVER seen a child act the way he does and its physically painful dealing with him! (he is a big boy) and im afraid for my1 year old! anthony throws stuff at him, kicks him, hits him you name it he does it! im stressing with a 3 month old little girl too because now my one year old is being rough like his big brother im totally at a loss. im scared for him to start school this coming year!!
    Anonymous