Why does pot remain illegal?

If you can't overdoes on marijuana and its generally not addicting (the same with alcohol, but SOME people still become addicted to it), why is it still illegal? Apparently it became illegal because people were brainwashed into believing that MJ will make you go insane and cause you to rape and murder. Surely no one believes that now (atleast I hope). Wheather or not MJ has adverse health effects should not matter cause look at cigarettes. So, does MJ remain illegal?

BTW, I don't smoke it and I will never smoke it. The whole thing just doen't make since and thats why I asked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• because most marijuana thrives in third world countries. the U.S. wants to keep these countries weak and poor and that is the ONLY reason marijuana is actually illegal
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• it doesnt make sense to me either. but its not illegal everywhere. you can legally grow and distrute small amounts of pot in CA and in alaska its been legal for years, along with a couple others. I do not smoke as well, but I used to as a teen, and no I never did any horrible drugs. I think its just a great way for the state to get money, because wether its legal or not people are going to continue to do it more and more:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Because the propaganda of the 30's and 40's worked so well. A little too well. Thanks a lot, Anslinger.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't make sense to me either. The same people who will claim that they are addicted to pot are the same ones who get addicted to shopping, eating, the Internet, gambling, etc. It's not the "thing" itself, but a persons lack of self control.

Anonymous

• Partly because it has been shown time and time again to kill cancer cells, and pharmaceutical companies make their big bucks on cancer patients (80% of their business). Pharm. companies lobby to keep MJ illegal.
    Google Rick Simpson and watch his documentary Run from the Cure. In it he describes how he cured his and others' cancer with hemp oil, tried to take his information to the government and cancer societies, but they turned away...
    Anonymous

• Because so many people grow it in their basements and backyards that the government can't come up with a way to tax it yet?

Because there are many many people against it still, just due to the fact that it is a drug?
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 2:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We're making a little headway, though!

Marijuana Law Reform in the U.S. - 2010.

Anonymous

• Another step forward: CBS Agrees to air Pro-Marijuana ad.

Anonymous

• I agree with all of the above. The movement has come so far in the last 10 years though. Every week I read another article talking about legalization or another state legalizes med. Mar. We are so close to legalization I can almost taste it.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 3:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Because not enough people are getting involved!  If you think it should be legal, speak up!  Write letters, send emails, etc. 

From Norml.org re: What can I do?

Get Active, Get NORML!

1.) Contact Your Elected Policy Makers;
    2.) Join and Support Your Local NORML Chapter;
       2a.) Start Your Own NORML Chapter
    3.) Help Spread The Good Word About NORML's Important Work by:
    - Printing and Distributing NORML-related info;
    - Circulate NORML's Public Service Announcements;
    - Post and Circulate NORML's Internet Banners and Stickers
    4.) So you want to have a marijuana rally?  Find out all you need to know.

Anonymous