Walking on tip toes

My son is 21 months old and has started walking on his tip toes. It seems just odd to me. I dunno if I should be concerned. He does it more with his right leg than his left. So should I really worry or care or is he maybe being silly?

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 2:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's so cute, maybe he'll be a ballerina, I don't think it's cause for worry, my kids did that too.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• LOL! I tell my hubby that and he gets so pissed!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think it's pretty normal, my 18 month old does the same thing. And it IS cute! Your hubby has no sense of humor, mine usually puts a tiara on him and tells him to "dance like a princess", heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• my dd is 20 months old and she's been doing it since she was 11 mon5ths(when she started walking). she can walk normal and does often, she just likes to play
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son will do that off and on and he's over 2. Its not often but he does it too...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My brother was doing that as a small child well - a symptom of his cerebral palsy.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I dunno why my hubby gets so pissed about it. My family puts bows on him just to piss off my hubby. LMAO! But thanks for the responses. I am glad to know my son isn't the only one who does it.

I had read that it can be signs of CP or like their tendons are short or something but that they usually START walking on their tip toes, not end up doing it later on which si why I asked. Cuz he has always walked normal til this week. But I do think it's wicked cute and funny.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I'm not going to say I remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that my brother started doing it after he'd already been walking. Like I said, could be wrong, but it never hurts to check..
    Anonymous

• Thanks Anon. If he still does it by the time he has his 2yr appt I will bring it up. For now I think I will just not worry.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Some toe walking can be typical, but if it continues very long it could also be a sign of other things. Bring it up to your pediatrician at your next appointment.

Answer by missanc at 3:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2010