Tip toe walking

My son is 21 months old and has started walking on his tip toes. It seems just odd to me. I dunno if I should be concerned. He does it more with his right leg than his left. So should I really worry or care or is he maybe being silly

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 2:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My step son either stomps his feet or tip toes (his mom does it without noticing, she thinks shes better then everyone and thats just her stuck up walk)
    Anonymous

• Most children do tiptoe walk when they first start walking on their own, but if it persists then the child should be seen to rule out any physical problems. Some children will tiptoe walk well into early childhood because their achilles tendons are too tight, and if you wait until they are of this age, then they often require serial casting to bring their feet back down. Tiptoe walking throws the knees, hips, back & shoulders out of proper alignment and can cause significant pain and/or discomfort, as well as set a person up for injury later in life. With a 21 month old, It is generally not a huge concern yet, but you could spend time stretching his calves & ankles for him to help him and maybe prevent the tiptoeing from becoming a long term problem.

Also, children who have an Autism Spectrum Disorder also tend to be tiptoe walkers, so if he is showing other signs of this disorder, see your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• i have read that tip toe walkers are walking on eggshells figuratively. i'm not sure if i buy that one though. i only know of one child that did this, and his home life was pretty tough.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Hm, My DD does this... she always has, her tendon is too tight, last summer we went through casting her legs, she is now able to walk flat footed, but cannot remember to do it, so we stay on top of her about it. We are looking at surgery if she doesnt stop. It is not good to do, it is setting her up for severe injuries in the future. She is 5, almost 6.
    And she has a good home life, lol, promise. She was adopted- removed from hubbys horrible crack head cousin at 2weeks old- and I hear from the family that her egg donor walked tip toeed too, so it could be genetic.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2010