What are your thoughts on " unschooling"

This idea is completley new to me, I have only just heard about it. My child is in school and will continue to be, I am just interested in opinions, experience and NO DRAMA OR BASHING PLEASE.

jbirchard

Asked by jbirchard at 3:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• mickstinator...
    How do they learn things like science, history, and geometry? I understand learning through life experiences to a degree, but what about theories and concepts as opposed to literal words and numbers?
    ********************
    It IS up to the parents to make sure the child is exposed to a huge variety of information. Children/humans have a natural curiosity & want to learn. In a school setting, those children must stifle their natural curiosity & follow the curriculum with the rest of the crowd.

Unschooling doesn't involve just teaching the child to read off a grocery list or planting a seed in a pot. A good unschooling parent will encourage the child to learn more about where the food in the stores comes from, or about a plant's growing cycle. A good unschooling parent will encourage a child to find out more about the history of grocers, about the health benefits of plants & the ways we use them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It is a huge interest to me and after reading extensively about it am going to pursue it myself with my son. Alternatively though if I don't feel it is working out I want my son to go to a Steiner school.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It sounds interesting. It could be awesome for some kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I actually thought it was illegal.. isn't it??
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• In this unschooling, Do you just never teach them anything, like reading, writing, math. The usuall stuff?

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I've got a few friends who're doing it.

if you've got the patience, and motivation...go for it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You teach them through life experiences instead of through books. Like going to the store and letting them make the list, read it out, find the stuff, count the money...stuff like that. They do actually learn stuff, just by experience.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Is that for kids and parents who can't read?
    I don't think that is going to be too widely accepted by normally intelligent people.
    Anonymous

• It is widely accepted in the homeschooling community. Personally, it doesn't work for my kids and me. We all need something a little more structured. I know many families it works for, it just depends on the kids and the parents. Some children learn much better in this type of an environment, others might see it as a way to slack off....but that really isn't going to benefit anyone.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• LOTS of people UNschool. So, anon 3:39...you are incorrect. Many intelligent people choose this method. Their kids learn as they see fit. Some ask to learn reading, some ask to learn about other things and they do. They just don't follow a structured lesson plan and book and have a school like day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010