Do you believe that only weak minded women allow themselves to be abused?

Someone said that on here earlier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would say probably weak willed, not so much weak minded.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• No, I use to think that, until I happen to get into an abusive relationship. I never thought it would have happened to me, but it did.
    Anonymous

• I like to think I'm strong minded but I honestly can't say how I'd react if the man I am in love with hit me.
    Anonymous

• no. The mother who said she believes that, believing from you that's what she said, clearly that mother has never been intimated to the point of fearing for her life's safety and / or someone else's life's safety.

It's easy to say something about anything when someone's not walked in another's shoes.
    Anonymous

• I could tell you how I'd react! I 'd grab the heaviest thing near by and shove it up his ass! lol.

I like to think I'm strong minded but I honestly can't say how I'd react if the man I am in love with hit me.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• referring to a pp, I think a weak willed person and a weak minded person are just about always the same type of person. An victim is weak willed to stand up to an abuser because the strength and the length of the abuse has made the victim weak minded.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion someone is weak in many ways to let someone abuse them.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I'm sure SOMETIMES it's that way, but not always. I've always been strong minded, and definitely not the type to ever believe she'd be in an abusive relationship. Guess what, I was married to a verbally abusive alcoholic for 8 years. Things didn't start off that way, but after we moved back here from Europe (he was stationed in Germany, army), it just slowly got worse and worse. I was stuck in a country where I didn't know anybody, my entire family was still in Europe, and even though I was miserable, I just.... adapted, I guess. I didn't even realize how bad it had gotten until an old friend came to visit, and she told me straight up that she didn't even recognize me anymore, and how horrible he was towards me. That was all I needed, I left him shortly after, and it was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. So yes, sometimes you start thinking it's normal, even when it obviously isn't...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Just to clarify though, it was never physical. I think if he'd ever hit me, I would have been gone much much sooner.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Honestly, yes, I think that is true for most cases. Anyone who stays in a relationship where they are in constant danger of being physcially or emotionally abused is either doing so because A. they are too afraid to leave...in which case a simple call to the police would probably take care of that...B. are too blinded by "love" to leave...in which case that makes them "weak-minded IMO...or C. are only staying to keep their family together...in which case they are only doing MORE damage.
    Anonymous