sibling bed?

Has anyone had two kids (same sex) share a bed? Not like for a night or on a trip, but as a permanent arrangement? I had frankly never thought of this before, but I read a mention of it in a book and thought it sounded like an interesting idea... I guess it's more common in other cultures. My girls are very close in age, and as soon as I take a step away from my own cultural lens, it actually seems to make quite a lot of sense. Fosters closeness, prevents fear of the dark, separation anxiety, etc. I'm not even sure I'd do it, but I am curious about it. My little one's still in a crib, but they do share a room. Does anyone have any experience with this?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since we cosleep until the kids leave the bed on their own (my 7 yo has been making the transition now) it's almost certain that we'll have a sibling bed. My 5yo will sometimes want to sleep with her sister, and my 3 yo has had interest in sleeping with them -- it makes the transition SO much easier for them IMO. I think it's the natural progression. And eventually they will want their own space, but for now sibling bed seems to be the logical next step.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My 7 and 4 year olds share a twin bed. By their choice. I see nothing wrong with it. But I am sure someone will.
    Anonymous

• I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with it!! I think it sounds great and ideal in many ways... I'm kind of wondering about the logistics of it. My little one definitely is still good in the crib for now... but my older girl just had a pretty major wave of separation anxiety/sleep-fighting/night waking... I can't help but think this could be a good thing for them. But I wonder at what age it could work... and do they fight or keep each other up... I'm sure it's a transition like any other. Obviously it wouldn't be for us like it is for Collinsky since they're not in a family bed right now... anyway, thanks for the info.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I have 5 kids, and a 5 bedroom house, youngest is a cosleeper for now. All the rest of my kids have always slept in the same bed. I always joke with my husband that we only need 2 bedrooms. But ya, my babes love it. On a side note, I think they sleep a bit better in seperate beds, in the same room.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010