sibling bed?

Has anyone had two kids (same sex) share a bed? Not like for a night or on a trip, but as a permanent arrangement? I had frankly never thought of this before, but I read a mention of it in a book and thought it sounded like an interesting idea... I guess it's more common in other cultures. My girls are very close in age, and as soon as I take a step away from my own cultural lens, it actually seems to make quite a lot of sense. Fosters closeness, prevents fear of the dark, separation anxiety, etc. I'm not even sure I'd do it, but I am curious about it. My little one's still in a crib, but they do share a room. Does anyone have any experience with this?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I was growing up I had a friend whose family consisted of 4 daughters and two bedrooms. In each bedroom was a queen sized bed which 2 girls shared. I never questioned why, I wasn't, at 14, sure how to ask that question.
    Anonymous

• When I was growing up two of my sisters shared a bed. they were 11 months apart, and slept like this until their teenage years.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• That is how my sister and I slept until I was 13 and she was 11. We only had a 2 bedroom house and we got the bed from my grandparents (we were very poor) so it was done out of necessity. We bought a 3 bedroom house and my parents tried to separate us when we were about 9, but neither of us wanted it then so the extra bedroom became our toy room and we went back to sharing a bed. I actually know a family who have their opposite sex children (twins) sharing a bed when they first transitioned them out of cosleeping in mom and dad's room at the age of 2 years old. They were together until they were 3 years old and then were in their own room.
    Anonymous

• my boys are 6 and almost 5. they have always had their own beds, but always sleep together. i think it is sweet. i am sure it won't last much longer. in about a year they will have their 2 yo brother in that room with them. they will have triple bunks, but who knows how they will sleep!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I actually found my daughter curled up with her brother in the middle of the night the other night (they're 3 and 5). It was so cute! They sometimes nap together but it's not a permanent arrangement. However, I was raised with my cousin when I was younger and we often shared a bed (both female). I don't see anything wrong with it, but I believe in co-sleeping too.
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 2:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have a friend right now that has her daughters share a bed... The really don't have to the room is big enough for twin beds but they like sleeping together.. they are around the 9 yr range...
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't see why it would matter. People did that sort of thing all the time "in the old days"
    Anonymous

• I agree, I see nothing "wrong with it", but my first though would be they would never go to sleep. When my son has a friend or realitive sleep over they chat all night to each other instead of going to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My best friend shared a double bed with her sister until they were teens (girls). Two of my male cousins also shared a bed until about 10 or 11 (when they sort of were too big to fit in bed together.)
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 1:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2010