What are some of your money saving tips?

We are really having to cut back this year with the economy the way it is and I am trying to get creative with money saving ideas. What are you doing to save money?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 4:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

• Changed all our light bulb to those new fluorescent ones. We do not turn on our lights unless we really need them. Sometimes we just use a kerosenelamp or a candle.  We turned down our  heat 2 degrees.  We call our satellite company and went from 250 channels to 100 got rid of HD channels and HBO & SHO time.  Cut back on our house phone too.  Called our car Insurance and got a cheaper rate on that.  Stoped buy so much extra food we didn't need to buy.

Answer by louise2 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We went to 2 cell phones, which is much cheaper than a land line.
    We got rid of Cable. Our wireless internet is 1/2 the cost of cable.
    I use vinegar and water a lot as a natural home cleaner.
    Instead of paper towels, I have dish towels and old thick flannels or
    jeans cut up washed as rags, I use the newspaper to was windows with.
    When we first moved in our heat bill was over 300.00 a month, the past 3 yrs
    we have put up and sealed all the storms on the windows (22 of them) ... we are going
    to work more on the basement this summer...our current gas/heat bills this yr is 130.00 monthly..
    We have the cheapest car insurance.
    I freeze a lot of my veggies... I plan many of our weekly meals/snacks and stick to it.
    I have 4 kitties, we went to 3 smaller kitty boxes, buying larger bags of scoopable liter at a warehouse.
    Same for their food. 25-50lbs last us 21/2 to 3 months at a much lower cost.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My mother cans every yr and I get a large supply from her.
    I have a 9 yr old boy, thrift stores are my friends. When we buy him
    new shoes we get 2 prs at a time ...
    I can't think of anything else, and I am sure I am missing something...lol...

If you set your mind to it, you will find cost saving ways ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Use coupons. Unbundle cable services. No eating out. Buy & cook in bulk. Freeze, can, dry extras. Thrift stores for clothes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2010