anyone been to or has their child in Catholic school?

My daughter is 6 months old (today.... yay!!!) and we are looking into catholic school for her. I am not catholic (her father is) and know nothing about how it is. I've heard some good and some bad so I want to know other peoples experiences both as the student and as the parent in order to aid my decision. So what do you think about it?? Thank you sooo much in advance for your responses!!

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 4:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I went to Catholic school, and I didn't hate it. It was pretty progressive, co-ed and all that. We did still have some nuns walking around in habits, and they were a little umm... odd. But other than that, it was just like any other school, really. Now this was in Holland though, and from what I've seen, Catholics over here are way more traditional and strict.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My dd goes to a Catholic shool and i went to the same school growning up. i love it! I am not Catholic but I am Christian and was raised Catholic. Our students come out with a great education and respect the other students and teachers. It is a very loving enviroment. Not all are the same but we have had a very positive experience.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My MIL and SIL are Catholic. My nieces both went to a Catholic school as did my dh and his sister.
    From their personal experiences told to me... it was all good.
    Sorry I can not help you further... :)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I went to a Catholic school and it was a great experience for me. The public school where I lived was awful at the time, and if it weren't for my parents ability to send me to a private school I would barely be literate today. However my kids go to a public school that we love. Every school and student is different so hopefully you find the right school for your daughter.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My mom went to Catholic school for her entire school life. All I know is, I thank GOD every day she didn't do the same thing to me. She did not have happy experiences.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I went to a catholic nursery school and the nuns were vicious, but that was way back in the swinging 60's.  I'm sure things have changed since then.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My oldest goes to a Catholic preschool and will go there for school as long as we can afford it. We choose it because it has the BEST curriculum in the area. I am willing to compromise and force him to wear a uniform and go to church once a month in order for him to get the best education. Like with public schools, it depends on the one you pick.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• she's 6 months old? why are you thinking of it so early?

here in canada our catholic schools are in the public sector.

my girls are in the catholic system and LOVE it. its a great school and I am really happy with it, much happier when I see the public schools across the street from their school.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• oh and dh is Catholic, but I am not - so I went in blind and am one step ahead of the kids as they're learning about the catholic faith.
    hypermamaz

• My oldest is in Catholic school and, God willing, my younger 2 will be going there when they start school too. I love his school, they have a great curriculum and the highest testing scores in our county. It's also a small school, I can call over there and just tell them my first name and they know who I am and which child is mine, I love that. I also volunteer in his classroom once a week and it's nice to see how things are going in there so frequently. My husband and I are both Catholic so obviously we like that he's being exposed to everything that entails regularly as well. You'll want to probably tour a couple of schools, if you have more than one in your area, because they will do things a little different from school to school and you might get a good feeling from one that you don't another, at least that was my experience. Good luck, I think it's a great choice.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010