What's the best way to feed a family of seven with a $400.00 budget month. This is all i have to spend on groceries a month. No smart comments leave them some where else.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 5:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Plan your meals out ahead of time and make your grocery lists to reflect your meals and buy ONLY what's on your list! Our budget used to be between 30 and 50 a week for a family of 3 and we found ways to make it work. And just clip every single coupon you can find, maybe buy a coupon organizer you can take to the store.
    Oh and say you buy romaine lettuce for one meal and you know you'll have some leftover, make another meal a couple days later to use up the rest of your lettuce that way the lettuce works for 2 meals and you don't throw anything away.
    Plus, making things from scratch is more time consuming but a way to stretch your dollar. We make homemade pizzas all the time, and we use yeast, flour, tomato sauce, and blocks of mozzarella and then the spices and we can make so many pizzas that stuff that probalby cost us $10 total for all the ingredients, but gave us at least 10 pizzas out of the ordeal.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• good question. i will have a family of 6 come this sept. and i also only have $400/mo to spend on everything. i can say from experience that making everything from scratch will save you money. this includes snacks. we also do not buy juice except maybe once a month. only milk or water. also, plan out your meals. this really helps me.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It might also help if you buy in bulk. look for bargains and clip coupons, that's what i've had to start doing, we're a family of five and the littlest is only a baby but my husband eats enough for 3 lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• meal plan.

but not just dinner, plan every meal - breakfast lunch and dinner.

cook from scratch, buy bulk and portion into meal size containers (I buy large roasts and portion into steaks and smaller roasts), buy inseason produce or buy frozen - it is often less expensive.

coupons

I've got a family of 5 (3kids,a construction worker dh, and me) my grocery budget is $400 a month.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree with everything Marine wife said. That is exactly what I do, except on the Pizza's I buy Jiffy Pizza dough mix, it is 54 cents a box. I also fix beans, cornbread and cheap vegetables from the farmers market often (like Okra, squash and potatoes).
    vikaroo18

Answer by vikaroo18 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i go online an find coupons online for free all i have to do is print an cut them out..it's easy...except throwing the candy coupons away...thats hard i just have to make a list an tell myself over an over at the store "STICK TO THE LIST!!!" or else i bring a friend to drag me away from the chocolate
    diana2630

Answer by diana2630 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree w/ what you have been told. Only I would add no pop. Even cheap pop is a waste of money and no nutrional value at all.If the kids want something sweet drink Koolaid. It's cheaper and you can control the sugar and has no caffeine. I would sit down with your grocery flier and plan your meals around the sale items. Stick to your list. I baked all of our cookies and cakes. Cook from scratch. Eat meat once a day or only 4 times a week.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Buy the staples.....eggs,bread,potatoes,milk,butter and then you can work them into your meals.You can make breakfast for dinner! French toast,eggs and bacon.Buy 5 pounds of ground beef and split it up....use for hamburger helper,meatloaf,hamburgers.Pasta goes on long way for a lot of different meals.,as a side dish or add some chicken breast and cream of chicken soup for a main dish.A big can of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches is one of our favorites.one of my favorite delicious cheap dinners is homemade chicken noodle soup and it makes a huge pot! All you need is a pack of chicken thighs,a few carrots,chicken bullion and egg noodles ...just put the thighs ,some bollion and chopped carrots in a little water and simmer until the chicken starts to fall off the bone then shed it with a fork and put it back in the pot with some egg noodles season to taste and WALA!!! lol hope I helped a little!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Sales Sales Sales,,,,,I hope you have a freezer!! Just today the local store is having a huge meat sale,,,,I stocked up and used 1/2 of the month's food budget,,,there will be plenty left for milk, OJ etc!! I would make things in bulk spag,,,lasanga,,,and lots of rice etc! I am sorry that is all you have momma,,,We have a budget of 300 for 3 so I am sure it is rough on you! :{
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Check to see if you Angel Food Network is available in your area.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 6:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2010