Thyroid diagnosis Question

I suspect I have hypothyroidism, I seem to have most if not all the symptoms.I only have an obgyn and not PCP in the city. 'Can an obgyn check for thyroid problems? who diagnosed you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Health

• Endocrinologist
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It is diagnosed with a blood test. Since it can affect your reproductive system I would think that your OBGYN can order the test done.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You need to have a thyroid hormone blood panel done. It tests TSH, T3 and T4 if I'm not mistaken. You can call and ask your OBGYN about it, and at least he could make recommendations.
    Anonymous

• Your OB will probably only run the most basic test, which won't catch all thyroid problems, or she will refer you to a specialist. My RE (fertility specialist) actually referred me to my thyroid specialist after the tests she ran came back only slightly off. The specialist ordered more blood tests. The full panel consisted of TSH, T4, Free T4, T3, and Free T3.
    Anonymous