Is anyone else frightened by the blind acceptance?

I read post upon post arguing that 'X is correct because my BIBLE says so'.

Is it not a wee bit frightening to the more rational mind, that one could believe with all of their being in a book written by men, depicting a religious figure, and the one true path to eternity? Does it not strike anyone as odd that Joseph Smith did the same exact thing, and yet mormons are perceived as a cult by the rest of the christian sects?

Or, better yet, that they argue amongst themselves, between denominations, about the legitimacy of their interpretation of the holy book. Yet it is factual knowledge that the discrepancies in text are ENORMOUS errors of literal lingual misinterpretation, and in the realm of communication even a SMALL discrepancy can have a drastic affect on the intended message...

Does it not frighten anyone else that they are capable of believing this, and better yet- defending it? *shudders*

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, it is extremely disturbing. At least learn about other religions to help prove your poit. Oh wait....studying other religions would just destroy the point bible thumpers are trying to prove.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Anyone who can't look at the whole picture and all the perspectives and angles is just ignorant and selfish. If you don't even entertain the possibility that you could be wrong than your convictions are not as sound as you believe. You may think a bridge your good friend built is strong and sound, but your still going to have technicians run test after test before you let people use it.

Anonymous

• Not anymore then your beliefs frighten me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• " I know, right" lmao I do shudder at the thought of so many parents letting their children watch disney movies thinking they're innocent and harmless. Just one example of my shudders. : )
    Anonymous

• Anon 17:41~ that is exactly MY point, there is no civil service worker in the land of religion. There is not a shred of logic to the concept of religion, which is what is most frightening. An engineer builds from the ground up, with stability, using LOGIC. I would take a poorly constructed bridge over an invisible safety-net ANY day.

How does the need to believe in something that all logic points out, does not exist, make your convictions some hoe more relevant to your argument?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It boggles my mind... Even setting aside the whole "God exists/God doesn't exist" debate, it is a proven FACT that the bible has been modified, parts omitted, interpreted 80 000 different ways, things have gotten lost in translation etc etc. Anybody ever hear of the "telephone line" game? Where one kid whispers something in another kid's ear, that one whispers it in the next kid's ear, and so on? Things get changed, period. So to say that whatever version you may believe in is the one and only word of God is just ludicrous. Even the exact same passage, word for word, gets interpreted differently by different people. Crazy.

I'd rather base my beliefs, morals, and decisions on logic and facts, thanks.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Ditto Ryansmom.
    Anonymous

• Totally. I find it even more frightening when that person is a Christian since Christ welcome and encouraged questioning yet his followers refuse to do it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Scares me more when it's the basis of writing laws that everyone has to obey.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It does worry me... devotion, piousness, dedication, etc do NOT -- those I find to be beautiful and inspiring. I've known some AMAZING women whose authentic devotion to their faith just shone out of them like light, and made being around them feel like you were truly around someone who reflected joy and peace. That I have no problem with, and rather than scare me it fills me with hope and respect.

It's the kind of closed-mindedness that strangles compassion and the ability to connect with others, the defensive Egocentric "God loves people like me best" attitude that tramples any feeling of unity or love in the guise of righteousness... that scares me.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010